Chapter 25

K'Shawn wanted a wedding. Jason and he planned on a lovely spot in the Rose Garden. It was only going to be a small gathering.
"Should I tell Grandma?" He asked. "It's up to you my Dear." I answered. He chuckled. 
"Well, I am against it..." said Ma on the phone that evening. "You should be against it too..." Ma. I scoffed. "It's his life and if he's happy..."I informed.
"Keisha, if you and Jeremiah would have worked y'all marriage out." said Ma . I held up off the chair with a start. "Work on a marriage...he was abusing us and on top of that stepping out on me. I did my best Ma, but I had to save...Me!" I told her. " I don't care how many colors of the rainbow Shawnie is. He is my son and I love him. And I don't need Jeremiah standing on my neck to prove I am a woman. Jeremiah didn't want to love me the right way, he wanted others and I am glad and happy. I raised my son. I got a career. And after all these years, I found out what it's really like to really be loved. And it may seem out of the box not normal to you but Shawn has more happiness then you ever had."
There was silence. "Maybe I shouldn't have let your grandma raised you." She said. This Witch.
" Ma...you chose  to be happy with Darby." I retorted.
She wasn't going to attend the wedding and hell that was fine with me. I made a vow to myself that day that I did not need her or her funky advice in my life.
" I am happy for K'Shawn." said Vivian when I told her the news.  "I wish Tyrell would have made a better choice. You know she's moved in with one of Tyrell's friend's girlfriend."
"You mean Lydia is still around?" I asked. I hadn't seen Tyrell around lately since our last encounter. I refused to look desperate and call him but he was on my mind a lot and sometimes in my dreams. I couldn't say if I was in love or not. I just didn't like Lydia, the some way she despised me. How can I tell my friend that I am having the wildest, craziest sexual experience but with her son?
"I don't know what's been going on in my house. James just...he's distant and cold. Nia...is sad..." Vivian lamented. I held Vivian's hand. " Have you talk to her?" I asked. She replied in the negative. " Well, Viv please without blaming yourself or her. For me..sit down and really listen to her."
I decided to take it upon myself to talk to James. That afternoon, Nia and Tyrell was out of the house. Viv was taking a nap.
We sat on the patio. I told him what I saw the other night.
"Well, I guess you have to tell her." He said slightly. I wasn't here for a fight or to tell her anything.
" No, James but why Laverne? A woman that is her friend?"I asked.
" Why you judging?" He asked. I breathed and sipped on my glass of wine.
"I am not judging. Your daughter is cutting her wrist...." I said matter-of-factly.
"You telling me this now?"he asked angrily.
"Look, I was sworn to secrecy and I am not about to tell Viv... but you need to at least talk to your children." I replied.
He took another swig of his brown liquor. "I will talk to my child. Vivian's child come moving some lowlife in here...." he replied.
I was staying out of that one. " James, it won't hurt to show a little compassion..." Damn, your wife is dying, your daughter is depressed and you still on this paternity tip?
"Okay...Keisha.." he said irritated.
"James, after all of this... why do you stay?" I asked.
" It's fucked up. But I love my family...." he replied.