Chapter 1 One Year Ago

"I need you, Keisha....I am in my final stage." plead Vivian. Tears welled my eyes. She took my hand. I weakly squeezed her hand back. " I have stop responding to any treatments." I didn't want this. To watch someone die and the fact that it was my best friend.
"James and I will pay you well." She encouraged. I did need the money. I just got divorced and my ex was acting stupid about the house.
"K'Shawn is away and just in case Jeremiah wants to trip I got an extra room."
I was between jobs. I worked at the hospital but due to my stressful divorce I end up resigning.
"James and I talked about it. Nia and I need the company, James is always on the road and Tyrell being at Medical School..."
So I agreed. I put my possessions in storage. In the next couple of weeks I had to attend court.
I called K'Shawn and told him of my move.
"That's good Mom, you need to get out of that house. Dad always holding things over people's heads." K'Shawn declared.
I sighed. Yes. " He said something about either letting me have the house or we split the money." I informed him. K'Shawn laughed lightly. I loved my son. He was like my anchor.
"Ma I got something to tell you..." I tried to get it out of him but he informed.
"I am coming home in two months....love ya.."
I then called Ma telling her about the situation.
"Well, it's a job but living in other people's house...." said lament. My Mom will find some way to throw a monkey wrench in the best laid program.
" I am good with it...." I replied.
"Yes, but Vivian got a husband. There got be some respect. She gonna want to spend time with him and their family. To me that is an intrusion on their privacy. I think it's the husband's job to care for his wife..." This is when I drown her out. Ma never had an husband in her life. Always a boyfriend or two to help with bill or two until they get tired of her nagging and being clingy. I really never knew my father. I was always introduced to her old flames as their daughter but they seem to leave as soon as they came.
"I think you need to rethink this divorce thing...Keshia. Jeremiah calls and talks to me. He says he miss you..." she replied. Here she goes. I was less of a woman now that I got rid of a Jack ass who verbally and mentally abused me and cheated as many times as he liked. Not to mention a baby or two.
"Ma I am older. I want my peace." I told her.
"Yes, but you want to be able grow old with someone. I wanted that but I got the Lord now." I hurried Ma off the phone. Vivian was on the couch resting. Today wasn't a good day for her. I was making her a herbal tea when I heard a commotion. I heard Nia, who by now was coming from school and a male voice. Laughter. I heard Vivian's happy cries. I picked up the tray and came into the living room.
Nia was standing with Tyrell who grew up to be very handsome. He had a very comely smile. And the house seem to have a more joyous aura. He was holding on to Viv's hand.
"Tyrell I know you know Mrs. Davidson."she said to him.
He came over to hug me. " Look at you all grown up.." I replied. He took my hand. Electricity from his touch caught me off guard.
" You still are fine." He said loud. I blushed at the compliment but passed it off.
" He always had a crush on you, Keisha..." said Vivian. I remembered how he was so nice to me when he was younger. Volunteering to help me around the house and even babysitting K'Shawn.
" What's up with K'Shawn?" He asked as I collected my thoughts on how his touch affect me. I replied that he was good. Studying to be a lawyer at a university about a state away.
"You're a V-Tech Man..." I exclaimed. Vivian chimed in bragging.
"He is set to graduate next June." She said. There was darkness that seem to cloud her face. Just then James came in. Tyrell took the tray from my grasp. Then he whispered softly
" I can be any kinda man you want me to be..."
James greeted him with a hearty "Son..." I watched James grabbed Tyrell up in a bear hug. Nia and Vivian chanted about throwing him a party. James dismissed himself saying he do the grilling. Nia and Tyrell sat next to their mother asking about her health and propping her up with pillows. I just stood still in shock about Tyrell's last statement.