Chapter 2

The Wrights really know how to throw a party. I mused. I was mostly happy to see Viv up and about. Nia and I was helping her make her World Famous Pasta Salad. She was busy making her chili.  In my mind I was pondering the going's on of last night. The argument I heard. And the footsteps that stopped at my door.
"Keisha..." said Vivian. I snapped out of my daze. She had this smirk on her face. Her skin was radiant today. Her freckles seem to glow. James was teasing her and kissing her cheeks.
" Guess who is coming to the party?" she asked. James with a mug in his hand was smiling replied " There you go matchmaking..." Vivian laughed. She told me she invited Reggie Lewis.
"Reggie back in six grade said he had the biggest crush on you in sixth grade." she informed.  I scoffed. " He used to bully me Vivian said that I had cooties." James and Vivian laughed. " Key... he liked you..." I was shaking my head. Tyrell came in the kitchen. He gave his mother a hug and then Nia a smack. Nia smacked him back on his arm. He smiled at me. He seem to ignored her father. The look on James face and departure from the room hint to something underlying.
"It smells good in here!" Tyrell exclaimed. "Moms making the chili..."  Vivian was happy. "I made it for you...Baby...." Nia and I looked on as she cut tomatoes and I chopped the cucumbers. "Your Dad found some good prime ribs..."
Vivian was joyful. At least thirty people came over to Tyrell's cookout. Laverne and Tasha came over.
We sat in on the patio watching Tyrell and his friends and some of the kids in the neighborhood play around their pool. Laverne was eyeing Tyrell's friends Jamal and Keon. I worked with Jamal's mother at the county hospital. He worked at a retail store. Keon just well dealt drugs.
"Remember when guys had bodies like that." Laverne slobbered.
"Gurl, you can't handle them young bucks you got bad knees and a slip disc..." said Vivian sarcastically.
" I know this chick name Eunice got hold to one of them bucks...can't tell her nothing." said Laverne. We all laughed.
"Well don't be looking at mine I would like to see some grand children before I leave this earth." Tasha amen Vivian.
"What can an older woman do for a young but knock out her back and take her money." said Tasha. "My Eric is good enough for me. He got miles on him." Vivian sipped her Sangria.
"Yes, me and James are fine."
"Y'all Bitches can't live a little sometimes a young man awaken a fire..." cried Laverne."Keisha you are practically single better loosen up the pool ain't so wide for us single seasoned women..." Laverne explained.
Vivian interjected. "Nope, I fixing her up with a nice guy." Tasha asked who. "Reggie Lewis."
"Oh...Reggie been a widower for two years. He's a good catch. Got the car dealership outside of town. He a deacon, too." said Tasha.
"I just got to help Keisha to get over that ex of hers." said Vivian.
"Speaking of the devil...." said Laverne. Reggie Lewis came up. James and Eric greeted him. James gave him a beer. Reggie did look kinda handsome I admit. His fresh pink shirt and khaki pants. "Gurl...you better get that. If I wasn't celibate.."Laverne mused. I wrinkled my nose up. "Chile, you...." I exclaimed. " I been trying to give up the sausage, it's hard..." said Laverne. We laughed. "You been messing with some young beef..." teased Tasha. " Come on, Key...talk to that tall glass of water...."
To my dismay and surprise Vivian called him over. He came over smiling and greeting everyone. He kept his eyes on me specifically.
"How are you, Keisha?" he asked. I said I was good. Vivian found a way to leave us. "Let's go get some more drinks."
"Viv was telling me about your divorce from what's his name..." he replied. I laughed. "You got that right."
"I always liked you, Keisha." He informed. I laughed. "Oh when you put that bee down my back in fourth grade..."I remind him. He snickered. " And told everyone that I was ugly and had cooties. You wrote it on Ms. Dobson's board."
He then said, " I am so sorry, I didn't know how to tell you I liked you." I nod. " You was too busy being a whore in high school." I retorted. He disagreed. "Some people said that about because cause that was high school. We are older wiser and I want a chance." I flirted. "I will think about it." I don't know but I kept noticing Tyrell throwing looks toward our way. He was at the grill tending the meat. I saw Keon motioning toward us. Laverne called for everyone to eat. "Reggie, come offer a prayer." said James. Reggie gave a heartfelt prayer as our stomachs rumbled. "Amen!" People gasped. " The food is highly blessed and favored now." replied Tasha coming back with a plate. So when y'all going out?" I told her we didn't talk about that.
"Hey, come and help serve Key..."cried Tasha. Tasha, Tyrell and I got stuck with serving. Halfway, we ran outta dressing and I went to the pantry to fetch some more.
" So, Miss Keisha you gonna be talking to another man?" I was shocked. " I didn't realize you were here.." I said to Tyrell. "Do y'all got any Ranch?" I asked. He stood looking at me. Was that Lust? " Did you hear me?" he asked.
I told him that Reggie known me way back.
"Looks like a wolf in sheep's clothing to me." I found the ranch and proceed to go my way but Tyrell's warm and well built body blocked me.
"Look, I have a son almost your age...I been around..." I said. This was a game that I wasn't trying to play.
"But you hadn't step my way." He said softly. Is this Boy seriously running some game? He let me go. I shook my head in disbelief. " Don't knock it till you try it...." He called after me as I hurried to get out of there.