Chapter 11

" Keisha, I just got a call from Jeremiah... he is worried about you." Mom told me on the phone that day. It has been two days and I was still caring for Vivian. Viv was now sitting up eating soup and talking to Nia.
"I am at work. Vivian needs me right now." I answered.
"Your husband needs you." She replied. Sometimes she just get on my last nerve.
"Ma, he is not my husband. We got a divorce." I told her.
"In the eyes of the Lord, you made a vow. And God hates divorcing..." she quoted.
I sighed. Coming from someone that men refused to marry. I chuckled. Mom had such bad luck with men either she was too clingy or demand so much.
"Well, I broke it. Ma, this man did things to me. How come you don't understand that?"
"It's about forgiveness...." Ma said. " Keisha, you always take things to heart..."
"And that's what he supposed to do take care of my heart. That's his vow. Why the hell should I give my all to a man? A man that cursed me out and put his hands on me.... a man that had a child outside of our union....a man that hurt his own son?"
Ma sighed. "He tried to make him into a man. Keisha, you was raising him to be too sensitive..." I was angry now.
"Hitting a thirteen year old in the chest for not throwing a football straight. I don't know why that day. But he really never wanted to spend time with him."
Most mothers would be glad that their daughters was smart. That their daughter despite being lied to, abused, and so far pulled themselves up, despite being a single parent, got a degree and got a good job and managed to raise a child that wasn't victim to the streets or drugs.
Your Ma is envious of you. It hit me. Sure she did things after the fact she couldn't stay on public assistance. She worked as a nurse assistant while I was struggling in college. She then expected me to help her with the slack. Then when I got married and had K'Shawn, Jeremiah paid her for babysitting, while I went back to school again. She was glad to be home then that's when she met Earl Palmer.
He was her boyfriend up until he died three years ago. She was his nurse. In the late days of his sickness he cursed, spit, and hit at her. And before Old Boy could saturate good in the grave his long lost wife came back for the benefits and insurance. Earl dangled the diamond ring and promises of the future in front of Ma like a carrot to a horse. He played her and then dropped dead doing it. Son Of A Bitch!
But I guess before Earl got Alzheimer's, he treated Ma good. Some people don't even get that.
"Look, I don't want you to end up like me..." she said. I rolled my eyes.
If Ma tried. There was more to life then being set in a certain way. I met most women, who traveled and went back to school. And were single and loving it.
But she want to be bitter and get along with old hens like her. And be miserable.
I am not.
" I can't wait for K'Shawn to meet a very nice girl and give me a great grand..." Ma sighed.
"Ma....you breaking up...." I pretend and hung up the phone.
I came back into the living room to find Vivian weakly sitting up. And James, who was M.I.A. sitting beside her. She wasn't well but she seem happy.
"I got to handle some business...." I told them.
"I am here tonight....I told them I had to be home..." said James. He seem glad.
"Tyrell's coming back tonight!" declared Nia as she came from the kitchen with a cup of tea.
"We got it from here...I will be fine....I am with the best..." she replied as she lovingly looked at James and Nia. James squeezed her hand and mouth to me. "Thank you."