Chapter XXII

rambles; stream drivers license by olivia rodrigo for clear skin and maybe some tears! enjoy this lil semi angst semi soft chapter, leave me some comments!

song ~ ♀ Love Songs Bonus - Kaash Paige ♀

Chapter XXII

Imogen sighed as she rested her chin on her hand, tapping her phone screen to check the time, hoping as if by magic her dad wasn't late. She contemplated calling him, but also didn't want to seem as though this bothered her, it wasn't like it was out of the usual.

"Imogen, I can call him if you like?" Her Aunt offered kindly, sitting at the opposite end of the table, staring at her niece over the top of her book, her eyes shone with concern for the younger girl. "No it's okay, he'll either be here or he won't." Imogen shrugged with a small smile, tapping her phone screen one more time.

6:32

Then, a knock on the door sounded. 

Grabbing her purse off the table Imogen sent her Aunt a smile as she wished her good luck, heading for the front door. "You're late." Were the only words which left Imogens lips as she opened the door, her dad frowning at her as she stepped outside, closing the door after her. 

"I said 6:30? I'm three minutes late Immy." Her dad checked his watch with a smile as Imogen rolled her eyes. "You said six. Can we just get this over with please? And don't call me that." Imogen sighed, striding up the steps as her dad followed.

"Lovely to see you too." 

***

"So, will you now finally tell me why you're really here?" Imogen drilled her dad once they'd sat down and placed their orders. "Like I said, to see you." Her dad smiled as he chewed on a  breadstick. "And like I said, don't bullshit me Aaron." Imogen smiled sarcastically, the amused grin dropping off her fathers face  as he placed the half eaten breadstick on his plate and cleared his throat.

"Don't Aaron me. You never used to call me anything other than dad, what's with the Aaron thing? But how did you know your mother and I were getting a divorce? And the book keeper?" Her dad questioned with a frown, Imogen taking a deep breathe. 

"I found the divorce papers in the mail, wasn't exactly surprising considering you've long been sleeping in different rooms." Imogen began to explain, fiddling with the ring Maeve gave her as she did.

"Mum's affair? Well, there's only so many 'business trips' one can take to the same place. I checked her emails, that's how they communicate." Imogen answered casually, the frown on her dad's face only etching itself further into his forehead as she did. 

"So, you snooped?" Aaron lifted his eyebrow as his daughter shrugged, taking a sip of her water.

"You asked, I answered. With the very little communication I get from you two, its not like I have many other ways of finding things out." Imogen's tone switched as she stared coldly towards the older man across from her. 

"Fair. As I said, we'd like to work on that." Aaron's face softened as Imogen rolled her eyes, unimpressed.

"So what is it you'd like for us to communicate about then, dad?" Imogen mocked enthusiasm before her face dropped and her blank stare bore daggers into her fathers forehead.