10: Keeper of Secrets

I was taken aback by the strong wind that slapped into my face, and felt electricity prickled my skin as the ground below me vanished, triggering the dreadful images inside my head and making it harder for me to control my breath. My chest tightened and I could see myself drowning, trying to find space for breathing. Everything in me was in pain that I could hardly see through the blurriness of my eyes. Ilang beses akong napamura. Ilang beses ko 'rin kinagat ang sariling kamay para lamang mailipat ang atensyon sa sakit dito at hindi sa sakit ng panganganak. Hindi nakakatulong na mukhang mahihimatay pa si Arius sa sobrang putla nito. When I heard the continuous flapping of his wings as he rushed me to our destination, I didn't dare look at it and was relieved that Arius didn't choose to transform wholly. Hearing it already triggered something in me that made me feel more sickly and nauseous.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang oras kami sa ere, pero ng makarating kami sa tower 2, hinarangan kaagad si Arius ng mga bantay dito. I let out a disturbing moan. The pain felt like big needles piercing the shit out of my body.

"Mangangak na siya!" Para akong masusuka na ewan sa bisig ni Arius. Nanginginig siya. "Anong gagawin natin? Saan ko siya dadalhin? Ganito ba talaga 'to? Namumutla na--"

"Sir, please refrain from moving too much" Naramdaman kong hinawakan ni Krissy ang aking pisngi. She's the guard on duty today. Sa likod niya, I got the glimpse of the other witches on duty. Ready to execute the orders Krissy will be giving them. "Breathe, Hades" She guided me. Eyes focused. "Sandra, signal for red protocol. Navy, ready your chant"

Red protocol. A protocol specially made for pregnant witches. If this alarm sets off, the presence of the Queen, the mother of the pregnant witch, and its coven-- either official or not, is required to be at the Maternity Chamber of Tower 2. Immediately.

Sandra have set it off and the whole capital boomed with an echoing sound of sirens.

Kinuha ako ni Krissy mula kay Arius-- na nagdalawang isip pa kung ibibigay ako kung hindi lang siya tinignan ng masama ni Krissy. "I suggest you to leave now. Hindi pwede ang mga outsiders dito sa towers. The Queen might have permitted you on our grounds, pero hindi ka pwedeng pumasok dito kung wala kang sulat galing sa reyna"

Arius shifted on his foot. Sparing me his troubled glances every second. His white hair bright under the glinting sun, his beige eyes and slitted pupils glowing with worry. Why is he worried? We're not even that close to begin with. I sucked in a breath when I felt the jab of pain again. Twisting my guts. I groaned desperately. Krissy and Arius gave me an alerted look.

"Daldahin ko kaagad siya sa--"

Mabilis na pinutol ni Krissy ang sasabihin sana ni Arius. "No. We have our chanter here. Hindi namin kailangan ng tulong mo. Navy!"

"Tapos na!" I heard Navy shouted back.

"But--" Arius halted when the guards blocked him. Napakamot siya sakanyang buhok at sumuko na lamang.

Krissy gave me one last look, "May 50-50 chance kang mabuhay"

Gusto ko siyang sampalin.

She marched her way to Navy's portal without delay. Nodded at her companion and stepped inside the black void that would quickly direct us to the Maternity chamber. The air tightened around us from that few seconds of walking. Blurring my vision until another set of walls had come into view. Binaba kaagad ako ni Krissy sa isang kama, at ngayon ko lang napansin ang mala-cream colored na mga pader at ang malaking portrait ng Three Goddess na nakasabit sa mismong harapan ko. Faceless as they were supposed to be. The chamber was spacious enough, but I didn't like the idea that there wasn't even a roof above us. For air, maybe. A lot of room for breathing.