26: Three Gifts

Midnight was busy reading two important letters in his office when a knock, whom the demon king had already assumed was from Arius, echoed all over the place. Tiniklop niya ang mga sulat at nang hindi nililingon si Vlad, ay tumango ito.

Tahimik na binuksan ni Vlad ang pintuan at siyang pasok naman ng dragon sa opisina. Binati muna ni Arius si Vlad bago ito dumiretso sa upuan na nasa harapan lamang ng lamesa ni Midnight.

"Hi, Your Majesty" Arius greeted enthusiastically, right knee bouncing up and down. The dragon wasn't in a hurry but it was hard to contain the extra energy going through him. "Hindi mo ba talaga ako tutulungan kumbinsihin si Sahar?"

Putting aside the letters, Midnight maintained an expressionless face. Somewhere in his mind, he was already expecting Arius to come for this exact reason. "Nothing?"

"Nothing" Arius heaved a deep sigh and slumped in his chair. "Ayaw niya talagang mag ibang anyo" Nilingon niya si Vlad at nagtanong, "Sayo? Anong balita sayo?"

Vlad didn't so much as shifted from his place behind Midnight, "She's being cooperative as far as I'm concerned"

Arius let out a groan of disbelief. "Buti pa sayo"

"You're tying your hair now?" Pagbibigay pansin ni Midnight sa mahabang puting buhok ng dragon na ngayon ay naka tali sa isang mahigpit na ponytail.

Wala sa oras napangiti si Arius sa narinig. Involuntarily, his right hand went to his ponytail, sliding his slender fingers from top to bottom, still wearing that proud smile of his that Midnight took a mental note of. "Sabi kasi ni Sahar magtali 'raw ako ng buhok"

"Ah"

"I thought of following her advice"

Tumango ng isang beses si Midnight sabay senyas sa dragon na umalis. "Go now"

"Eh?" Napaayos kaagad ng upo si Arius, nalilito. Kumunot noo nito at nagtanong, "Paano 'yung kay Sahar? Masyadong delikado kapag hahayaan lang natin siyang kalimutan ang pagiging dragon niya"

"And that's why I'm telling you to leave now, Arius" Midnight leaned on his chair. He blinked lazily and Arius beamed him a sweet grin for no particular reason at all. "Gagawin ko ang makakaya ko pero hindi natin mapipilit ang mangkukulam. In the end, it'll be her decision"

The dragon couldn't help but widen his smile from the words that left Midnight's lips. Arius liked this about His Majesty. Sadistic and brutal a Midnight Zagreus could be, but the demon king always respected everyone's choices. In his own little way. Ngitian ng malapad ni Arius ang kanyang hari sabay tayo ng tuwid. "I'll leave her to you then" he bent his waist slightly, an arm in front, "Tatawagin ko ba siya?"

Umiling si Midnight. "Keep the air-soldiers in shape. Things might get nastier for us... soon"

With that, both Arius and Vlad stiffened from their spots. It was one thing to know about the danger that was coming for them, but hearing it from Midnight himself made it more terrifying and gut-wrenching.

Napalunok ng laway si Arius at dahan dahan na tumango. "Well, I guess that's that" He awkwardly motioned to his King the door and left the room with a not-so-pleased smile.

Binigyan naman ng tingin ni Midnight ang kanyang butler ng mapansin niyang nakatitig ito sakanya. Vlad immediately averted his eyes from His Majesty, well aware of the fact that staring back at your King was an act of disrespect, but Midnight wouldn't dare mention to anyone that he hadn't given any attention to his pack whenever they gave him a stare every time. One of the few privileges his pack had gained. Every member could look straight into his eyes whenever they want to, but no one was allowed to look at him the wrong way. That, Midnight wouldn't tolerate.