30: Sidelines

I'd prefer not to be alone with His Majesty again after what had happened between us in this office, where he had brought the ashes of my mother and the bones of my child as if they were some pretty gifts you'd give to a lover. The only exception was Sage's Bluezold, which I would've even thanked him personally for retrieving back. Pagkatapos ng Red Moon Event, bago kami tuluyang umuwi sa Lapetus, hinanap ko ang espada ni Sage sa gubat. After what felt like hours and hours of searching, I hadn't earned a single trace. Cayden was the one who persuaded me there was a huge possibility the Emperor had already taken Bluezold with him along with Sage's body.

Reluctant at first but then I thought that Sage would want to have Bluezold by his side. Dead or alive. It was his sword after all.

Wala akong kaide-ideya kung gusto ko bang umupo o ano, kaya mas pinili ko na lamang na tumayo. Standing straight, I kept both of my hands on my sides, much aware of His Majesty's unreadable stare. It might have been a cold one but it was too intense and dead at the same time. Hindi ko na pinahirapan pa ang sarili. Binalewala ko kung ano man ang ibig sabihin ng pagtitig niya ng matagal saakin.

There was a subtle movement in his jaw I unconsciously took notice of. Midnight angled his head, catching me. "What are you thinking?"

"Do you need anything from me?" Pabalik kong tanong sakanya.

"Ano satingin mo?"

Why are we playing guessing games here? Kumunot noo ko pero sandali lamang iyon at agad kong pinalitan ang aking ekspresyon sa mukha. Not a single hint of emotion lingered on my face as I watched Midnight stood from his chair with pride. His body cloaked most of the light that peered from the windows like an eclipse, and I needed to remind myself that he wasn't an angel from the heavens but a demon from hell. He easily walked his way in front of his table and perched himself at the edge, two hands inside his pockets.

It hurt to think that he was still a few inches taller than me even when he's perched. He could literally just scoop me off the floor with one arm if he'd want that to happen and it would depend on my mood if I'd want something to happen too. Bahagya pang bumaba ang aking mga mata sakanyang mga hita ng umupo ito. I swore it wasn't because of how his thigh muscles shifted and tightened beneath the hold of his dark trousers.

"So my sweet, lovely little witch hasn't any idea why I called her to stay?" The challenge in his voice was daring me to upfront him boldly like a stranger's voice in the darkness urging you to come closer.

Kahit ang layo namin sa isa't isa, nahihirapan parin akong huminga ng maayos. Ngunit hindi ko iyon pinahalata sakanya. For the record, alam ko naman kung bakit niya tinawag ang aking atensyon pagkatapos.

I fucked two of his brothers, right?

Para matapos na 'to, kinain ko na lang aking pride at yumuko. "As part of your pack, Your Majesty, I would like to extend my apology for catching me in bed with your brothers. But..." My tongue played inside my mouth. My fists clenched tighter. There was no way in hell I would let this end leaving like I was the real culprit to a crime. "I don't think I have done anything that might make you want to punish me. To my defense, I was only giving attention to my own needs the same way others give attention to theirs"

It might have been my imagination but I saw how His Majesty's eyes darkened for a quick moment there. I've confirmed that it was indeed, only a hallucination as he faintly grinned at me. A grin that hid thousands of cunning thoughts and maliciousness. "Oh, no, love. I wasn't talking about your fun time with my older brothers, you need to think a little deeper than that"

Oh.

I cleared my throat. Not about that. "Dahil ba 'to kanina? Because I'm late for the meeting"