13: Until This Day

"Your Majesty" Parang tumigil ang lahat sa paghihinga ng dumating si Midnight at ang kanyang pack. Agad na lumuhod ang reyna sa presenya niya, at sumunod sakanya ang mga mangkukulam sa buong paligid. Even the guards that were pinning me down lowered their heads in respect towards the Demon King and their High Ruler. But I was still trembling. Couldn't stop my body from shaking despite the pack's presence before me. "You are still here... and kasama mo na ang iyong... pack"

The Queen sounded wary all of a sudden. She rose on her feet, posture straight and elegant. Her court behind her and the guards around the area followed her afterward. I stole a glance at the coven and made sure none of them were hurt. The swords were sheathed back, but the guards were still holding them down. Unhurt. They're unhurt.

But my mom.

"I believe the damage you have done for this day is enough" Midnight started with an impassive voice. His dark clothes neat and slick. His dark hair perfect. His face emotionless. The night sky behind him made him looked more ravishing, felt like the sky itself adored him like it was its own king. "Kung ano man ang binabalak mong gawin, wag mo ng ipagpatuloy"

He began walking the distance between them and the Queen. The pack stayed behind. All eyes calculating. Arius. Killian. Radu. Tartarus. Vlad. Kaimana. And even Day was here. Hindi nakatakas sa paningin ko kung paano tignan ng bata ang nanay ko, na ngayon ay nakalatag sa sahig, naliligo sa sariling dugo. I didn't have the backbone to look at my mom now and stay still. I didn't have the backbone to look at her and do nothing about it.

Yumuko ako at marahas na kinagat ang aking labi. Kinurot kurot ko ang mga kamay ko sa likod. Pinipigilan ang sarili na humagulgol. The metallic taste of my own blood in my mouth did little to mend what was broken inside of me.

"I apologize, Your Majesty, but interfering a queen's business is already... punishable. An act of disrespect" I could feel the tension in the Queen's voice. Humugot ako ng isang malalim na hininga. Tumigil ako sa pag-iiyak. Tinanggal ang kahit ano mang emosyon saaking mga mata. At binalik ang tingin sa harapan. Later, Sahar. Mourn later. "You are our High Ruler. The witches know their own masters and we worship your kind, but this business, you have no say to this, Your Majesty"

Huminto sa mismong paanan ng dais si Midnight. A few feet away from me. "I understand. I have no intention to start a fight between the two kingdoms. The witches were sworn to be our loyal followers---allies. Let us call you allies. But we hold no vows to you in that matter"

The tension inside the chamber worsened. The Queen knitted her brows together as the wind blew her majestic dark hair and dress away. Her court behind exchanged looks. "Anong ibig mong sabihin?"

"Sahar Hades Mondrantoa is already part of my pack" Midnight announced disinterestedly, removing an imaginary lost thread on his dark coat. "Satingin ko naman ay narinig niyo ang sinigaw niya? You see I proposed something to her and she accepted it... just a moment ago. Don't worry, it's not that I want her to live. I'm fixing errors here"

Napasinghap ng hangin ang reyna. "Just because she's in your pack doesn't mean I don't have any rights to her anymore. I'm still her Queen"

"Ah," Midnight nods. "Of course. I didn't say anything about that"

"You offered her a deal. That means you favored her"

Someone in the pack sneered. Kaimana.

Midnight inclined his head slightly. "I favor no one, let's start with that"

"You're here to save her" The Queen pointed out. Her voice firm.

"Yes" The Demon King answered, "And also to make a proposition to you"