IV

Thank you, @Juicealyn you are the first person to comment and vote, I don't think you know how much this means to me.

At first, I didn't know what the gift was. There were no more Watcher symbols anywhere. There did seem like there was a bit more magic in the air than usual, but I probably had just released some of my magic while I was asleep.

When I was putting my helmet on, I brushed my ears and was surprised when they felt pointy.

I head on over to a mirror and stare at my ears, they were pointed. I'm not talking about normal human pointed ears. I talking about ears that look like they came off an elf from a fantasy picture.

It's fine, this isn't too bad. I'll just wear a helmet. No one will notice, right?

Time skip so I don't ramble.

The next day while I was getting ready, I happened to be using an anvil. When I touched the anvil with my hand, it exploded in pain. I screamed but no one was around to hear me, let alone help me. But when I took it off the anvil it dulled down but it still hurt like hell. I rummaged through my 'storage system' for a healing potion and some ice. The potion only healed the red mark from where it burnt and the ice dulled it down to a more tolerable amount of pain.

I tried other stuff to see what had caused it or if it had just been some magic I'd accidentally released. After some experimenting, I concluded that only iron burnt me.

That wasn't too bad, all my stuff was diamond anyways.

Just another time skip. Nothing to see here.

The ears he could deal with, heck, even not touching iron was fine by me. But when my elytra stopped working I was pretty pissed off. I used my elytra for everything, building, pranking and just getting around in general.

When I finally got the chance I took a look at my elytra. As I studied the fake wings, my back started hurting, it felt as if I'd just laid down on an iron floor barebacked. I tried to ignore it but it just hurt too much. I wondered if I had somehow scraped it on some iron or someone had come up behind me and ran a knife down my back without my noticing. I swam down to my starter base because no one would look for me there. As soon as I arrived I began desperately trying to work my sweater off my back.

When I finally got it off I noticed a couple of feathers fall onto the floor.

I looked at my back and yelped. On my back, growing between my shoulder blades were a pair of wings.

You don't know how tempted I was to leave it there.

They were dove white, with flecks of gold and little bits of purple, through them. They were only about the size of normal parrot wings, but they were growing at an alarming rate. I had taken my sweater off a couple of minutes ago and they had already grown a couple of millimetres bigger than that.

I threw on my sweater and raced to my base and straight to my secret infinity room. The room itself was nothing special, just a plain old infinity room, the only real difference was that this one was surrounded by obsidian, so it was blastproof, soundproof, waterproof, fireproof, just-about-everything-proof. Which made it good for magic practice. I called it, the library.

I called it the library because that is what I used it for, mostly. It had about a dozen bookshelves placed around the room with a desk in the middle. It also had lots of chests that were heavily protected with magic, that's where I store all my magical items that weren't books, except for my mask, I kept that in my ender chest, just in case.

There was also a bed next to a chest full of healing potions and wool I'd stitched together to make bandages. Magic can get out of control if you get too distracted, it has happened more than once, even in an infinity room.

I threw off my sweater again, my wings were still growing so I decided to give them room to stretch. I ran over to one of my bookshelves to find something, anything, that would tell me why I grew the wings.

Time skip while Grian is looking for answers.

I spent the rest of the day combing through a single bookcase so I decided to head up to my aviary to calm down. While I was up there Ari flew over and sat on my lap. I stared at his wings as he brushed his head on my fingers.

"Should I try and fly with them?" I ask out loud. They probably weren't big enough to fly but maybe I could glide like with elytra. I gently set Ari down next to me and unfolded my wings, now they were about half the size of my elytra and flapped them. I immediately hit my head on a branch.

"OW!" I sat down rubbing my head, Ari flutter over to me. "How do you do it? What am I doing wrong? What's your secret?" All of a sudden every birb in the aviary flew over to me and started flying up then down, up then down, over and over again. Once I got over my confusion I looked at the closest birb and saw them move their feathers in a way that helped them control how high they went, I tried going up again, this time doing what the birbs did. I flew up but this time I didn't hit anything and gently fluttered back down.

"I did it! I flew! WOOO!"

"That wasn't flying. But it is close enough for now." Said a voice from behind me. I turned but no one was there.

"Who said that? Where are you?"

"Wait you heard me? You can understand me?" Said the voice again.

"Yes, I heard you! Now, who are you!" I demanded.

"Down here, big fella." I looked down but I only saw Ari.

"Who-"

"It's me, Ari, the birb." Said Ari the birb.

"Wait, how can I hear you?" He shrugged, or at least it looked like he was shrugging, It was hard to tell.

"Don't know. But you have wings now! We can go flying together! It'll so much fun! Come on!"

"As you said, my wings aren't ready for flying, they're a bit small."

"Well, how long until you can fly with us?"

"I don't know, these weren't here this morning. They only grew today. My guess, maybe tomorrow or the day after that."

"Ahh man, I wanted to fly with you. Well then, why don't you let us fly outside for a bit and then you can watch, maybe you can pick up some tricks." I was already pulling out my pickaxe.

"Sounds like a plan."

I know how to spell bird but I like saying it birb so I'm gonna keep it that way.

Word Count: 1165

Cheers,

Isabelle