28: Staying The Night

There's a box next to the front door of my room, a box which I notice once I enter. My eyebrow lifts itself as I notice the broken pieces that belong to a bottle of scotch stashed inside of it.

"Mom? Dad?" I call out as I head to the living room where I can hear faint sobbing. My mother lays tangled on the floor against the couch and my stomach most effectively drops in worry. "What the bloody hell happened?" I get onto my knees beside her as she wipes at her tear stained cheeks.

"Your father," She coughs, "Your father and I had an undoing," She explains while picking herself off the floor. I help her, getting onto my feet myself.

"What was it about this time?" A frown takes place upon my lips and she shakes her head. "Mom-"

"Hayley, all you need to know is that I don't think your father and I will continue to work out so well," She sighs, sniffling slightly.

"I figured," I murmur before pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear, "Where did he go?" Rage boils inside me and even though I don't have the guts to stand up to him I still have concern over my weak mother.

"Left. I don't know where, but he went far from here for sure," She figures and rubs her exhausted eyes.

"I don't like what he's doing to you," I say softly, "Did he..." I don't want to say the exact words, but I assume she already knows what I'm about to say because she rapidly shakes her head.

"Good riddens, no. You're father isn't that man-"

"Highly doubtful," I interrupt quickly, and she frowns at me where as I look away. Resting her hand on my shoulder gently, she looks down at her feet.

"Perhaps, he and I will succeed in mending ourselves. We've done it before, haven't we?" My mom chuckles softly in which there is nothing humorous at all. But of course she is there finding hope within our family.

"I don't think-"

"We'll have to find out. Now, I'm going to go clean myself up so that you don't have to look at a wrecked mother," She forces a weak smile before striding out the door. But I stop her before she can stroll up the stairs.

"Wait," I clear my throat, not finding this situation fitting but she still has to know, "I'm kinda...I, well, I got suspended for the week," I bite on my lower lip and she exhales, lifting her eyebrows at me.

"I suppose you can tell me about it at dinner," She shakes her head, "But that really is the least of our problems right now, dear. You ought to know that," She smiles a depressing smile and drags herself up the stairs to clean herself up, and I'm left standing in the hallway wanting to bring havoc to my father.

So, my mother and father are falling apart after all.

-

"-Causing me to get suspended and Genevieve to earn a punishment that I'm not aware of," I explain to Rebekah over the phone while dropping myself onto the bed.

"I'm just slightly disappointed that I missed the brawl, hopefully Klaus can tell me about it," She mocks playfully, "And as for Genevieve, she's only picked up a few detentions for herself as Kol told us."

"You know that Klaus was there?" I scrunch my eyebrows, feeling a moment of despair as I recall accidentally telling Klaus that I love him. A horrid mistake it was.

"Well, I never knew until I heard him talking to Damon about it. He looked pretty irritated and has been ignoring us since he arrived home," She tells me, "Any idea why?"

Yup.

"Nope," I sigh, finding myself shutting my eyes very tightly. "My mom's taking my phone away tomorrow morning as a part of fulfilling her motherly duties."