21: Only One

The next morning was a pain.

It's not like I didn't expect it though, it's what I get for being careless around how much I drank last night. After a dose of pain killers, I shuffle on a full sleeved top and skinny jeans, a coat draped over the outfit as I step into my shoes and rub my cold hands together when I step out of the house.

Klaus told me to get my car and jacket from Cami's tomorrow so that's exactly what I'm doing. While avoiding his four missed calls, may I add.

He thought I was being serious about having that talk with him. Yes, I promised but promises change, even in within a time period of less than twenty four hours.

I shove my hands into the pockets of the coat as I scurry to the bus stop, frowning at how I'm actually taking the bus. Ugh. When it shows up, I hop inside and wait silently during the ride.

A while later, Klaus tries calling me again, and I stare at the screen while debating whether or not to pick up. Groaning quietly, I click answer with my thumb and hold the phone against my ear.

"Finally." I hear him murmur, and I close my eyes while leaning back against the seat. "Tough morning?"

"What do you want, Klaus?" I cut straight to the chase, sighing before I reopen my eyes and gaze out the window. There's a moment of silence, before he finally speaks up again.

"You got your car back?" He asks, and I figure it's because he can hear the sounds which make it seem like I'm driving.

"I'm on the bus." I answer within a second unlike him. "Picking up my car now, actually."

"Oh. So, what are you doing after that?" Klaus asks slowly. I'm going to sulk in bed for the rest of the day, I wish to say.

Instead I shrug, being shoved forward from the seat as the bus comes to a halt. "Nothing." I say while standing up, walking towards the front of the bus and getting out, walking the rest of the way to Cami's house. The car I drove is still parked at the end of the street, I'm surprised nobody bothered getting rid of it. I'm reminded to get my own car soon though, just a few more months.

"Then come over." He quickly suggests, and I roll my eyes.

"Why the hell would I come over to see you, Klaus?" I scoff and I can almost witness his frown.

"Hayley-"

"No, I'm hanging up now."

"You promised me a talk."

"I don't want to hear about the reason you almost hooked up with Genevieve, thank you very much. Besides, I don't care anymore." I say enthusiastically while stopping at Cami's porch. I then hang up before he can say anything, and shove my phone into my pocket.

I'm still committed to what I planned. I'm going to spend this break getting over him. Whether he likes it or not.

-

"So, you're trying your best to stop sulking while my brother doesn't bother to hide his?" Kol asks with a smirk, sipping his milkshake as we walk out of the diner we ran into each other at.

Okay, so maybe we didn't exactly run into each other. I needed somebody to take my mind off things and Kol was the first person that came to mind. I expected him not to bring up Klaus, but obviously I was wrong.

I groan and roll my eyes at him, shoving my hands into the pockets of my coat, "What do you expect me to say to you, Kol?"

He sighs and tosses his empty milkshake into the trash on the sidewalk before he stops walking, turning to face me which automatically causes me to come to a halt as well. "Listen, I'm not a fan of getting involved of whatever you and Klaus have got going on, but my brother wouldn't get this worked up about something like this if he didn't care about you, Hayley."