19: Player

Everyone at the lunch table averts their gaze to me when they see me, quite violently, stabbing my salad with the plastic fork. Noticing their eyes, I clear my throat and drop my fork, rubbing the back of my neck as if I have no idea what they're staring at.

"What?" I snap, causing all of them to look away. All but Rebekah, who gives me a concerned look.

To say last night was rough for me is an understatement. I'm still beyond pissed, and...hurt, about what happened and perhaps Klaus doesn't give a damn because he hasn't contacted me at all. Not that I want him to. I don't want him to.

Rebekah stands up, bobbing her head towards the exit of the cafeteria as she walks out. I sigh, pushing my lunch away before standing up and following her out.

"What the bloody hell is going on with you?" Rebekah exclaims once we're out of everybody's earshot.

"I don't believe I know what you're talking about." I mutter.

"You didn't text me back last night, you've been a mess this entire morning, and now you're taking it out on that poor meal," Rebekah frowns, "What is it? Something at home?" She raises an eyebrow at me, but at this point I'm distracted by something behind her.

The bastard who had the nerve to play with my emotions strides in with Stefan by his side, chuckling at something. And of course he's not impacted by what's happened, maybe it was just a ping of hope inside me that he would be.

"Hayley?" Rebekah snaps her fingers in front of my face, and I blink. She glances at what I was staring at, and when she sees Klaus, her frown deepens as she looks back at me. "Should I get Nik to talk to you? Maybe he'll-"

"Klaus and I broke up." I cut her off as quick as possible, a bit too loudly apparently because Stefan and Klaus look at us. Klaus didn't seem to notice me standing here, and when he spots me, he looks down while Stefan asks him something with a confused expression. Klaus only shakes his head and walks towards us, and I scoff.

"I...what? Since when?" Rebekah finally manages to splutter out, but I spin on my heel to avoid Klaus upcoming presence. Too late for that actually, because I feel him grab my forearm to pull me back. Rebekah's already glaring at him.

"Rebekah, leave us alone for a second," Klaus mumbles, his eyes not leaving me while I don't bother trying to pull my arm away, he's stronger than me, I'm not going to try and look like a fool.

"No, Rebekah, don't." I object, my eyes also remaining on Klaus, so I can't see what Rebekah's doing, or how she's reacting.

"Rebekah," Klaus says sternly, glancing at his little sister. I look at her as well now, and she bites her lower lip, seeing Stefan standing by the cafeteria doors with an arched eyebrow.

"Hey, Stef," She clears her throat before walking towards him and my jaw drops. So much for friends sticking together.

"Let go of my arm, Klaus." I stiffen now that Rebekah's gone, not bothering to look at him again even though there's nobody else to look at. We're the only ones who're in this hallway.

"Accept my apology." He says in a calm voice, and I actually burst out laughing. This catches him off guard, he loosens his grip, and I tug my arm away.

"You're stupid if you think it'll be that easy." I hiss at him before turning around and walking away from him, but he only follows me, blocking me from entering the cafeteria once we get to the doors.

"I never thought it'd be this easy, but I want you to forgive me." He frowns, reaching his hand forward to place on my side, but I step back.

"If you knew it wouldn't be easy, why'd you do it?" It barely comes out as a whisper. It's the first time I ask him for an explanation, even though I don't want to hear one. "You just didn't intend for me to find out." I answer for him, looking past him. He doesn't have the nerve to say something back, but he thankfully has the right mindset not to.