23: First Chance

It took me a few days to convince myself that I need to talk to Klaus.

I was in denial for a while. Even though upon hearing his last words to me, I was taken away and wanted to forgive him right away, I knew I couldn't. It just..felt wrong.

He hurt me. I had to respect myself. I had to give myself a few days to dwell on the situation and form a realistic view on what had happened. And I couldn't help but think back to a few strange things.

Genevieve showed up so mysteriously, knowing about everyone and so much about Klaus and I. She showed up at his house to seduce him. I don't know if it's myself making excuses for Klaus or if it's pure judgement, but it seems as though she isn't so innocent.

Nonetheless, I decided I need to talk to him. To Klaus.

I take a deep breath before I ring the doorbell of the Mikaelson house. I already know Rebekah and Kol are out right now, returning some of the holiday shopping that just didn't cut it. Elijah is probably prepping for his exams, Esther is out with my mother, which leaves Klaus at home. We could be alone. We could talk.

The door finally opens and I straighten my posture, but my shoulders slump back down when I see who I'm greeted by.

I forgot to mention it also leaves Mikael at home.

"Oh, Mr, Mikaelson, hi, I..." I start, but I'm cut off.

"Hayley! I haven't seen you in a while, have I? How have you been, young girl?" He smiles at me, and I faintly smile back.

"Good, Mr, Mikaelson." I nod, looking past his shoulder, which doesn't go unnoticed by him.

"Sweetheart, call me Mikael, I've told you before. But, uh, Rebekah's out at the mall right now with Kol. Do you want me to tell her you came by?" Mikael raises his eyebrows at me.

Of course they don't know about Klaus and I, who would have even told them? From what they know, Klaus and I still want each others heads on spikes.

"Actually, I'm here to see Klaus. He's home, right?" I tilt my head, giving him another faint smile. But his smile drops at the mention of Klaus' name, clearing his throat and looking behind him.

"Pardon me, I wasn't aware you two formed a friendship," he shakes his head, before moving aside to welcome me in. "He's home, come in." He turns around and walks in, and I sigh to myself. For some reason, he's always made me feel a bit uneasy. He's kind to me, he really is, but...there's something off about his dynamic. And I know there has to be some type of problem between him and Klaus. Klaus never talks about him, and I've never seen Mikael with him.

I follow him inside though, rubbing my hands together to warm them up. "Yeah, well, there wasn't really any reason him and I never got along, right?" I chuckle, attempting to lighten up the atmosphere.

"Yes, you're right, I thought it was always just your conscience telling you something right by not getting involved with him." I take Mikael's words as a joke, even though his voice wasn't as lively as mine.

"Niklaus!" He yells, looking up the staircase. "Come downstairs, Hayley's here to see you!" He calls, mumbling something under his breath that I don't hear, as he walks up the stairs and disappears.

I bite my lip as I wait for him to come downstairs, looking around the living room. I walk over to the fireplace where they have picture frames laid out, skimming past the family pictures.

I smirk when I see a picture of Rebekah at one of the beauty pageants we entered once, picture of Elijah winning a spelling bee when he was younger, a picture of Kol and his baseball team. My eyes lastly land on a picture of a young Klaus, sitting next to a Husky, a big smile on his face. I smile to myself, I can't help it.

I step back, my eyes trialing to a family picture. My smile slowly fades as I notice that Klaus is missing from the picture though, and I furrow my eyebrows. Maybe he was sick that day, or just busy doing...I don't know, something.

"Hayley?" Klaus' voice behind me startles me, causing me to slightly jump out of my thought and spin around.

"Klaus." I whisper, blinking at him. Fuck, I should've rehearsed what to say or something.

"Uh, what brings you here?" He asks hesitantly, as if his words have the power to hurt me. He's worried. He's concerned. He's so...sorry.

"I thought about what you said. And...it all makes sense. I didn't see it sooner but could you blame me?" I chuckle, shaking my head, looking down at my feet. "I was hurt. I was angry. For the first time, I...I felt something and I felt let down."

"I did let you down." I hear him say, and I look up to see him with a frown on his face. "I...I told you I'm sorry, and I disappointed you. I failed to make you happy, you didn't have to come to forgive me." He scoffs, running his hand through his hair and looking away, avoiding eye contact with me.

"But that's where you're wrong." I purse my lips and take my first steps towards him, and he looks at me in utter confusion. "You do make me happy. These past couple of weeks, few months, Klaus, I've been so happy with you." I give him a slight smile, but his look of confusion and curiosity doesn't budge. I continue to make my way towards him.

"You've helped me loosen up, have fun, not be a stuck up princess geek I've been in the past, hm? And yeah, I guess you..uh, you love me for...for that, but you didn't always let me down." I stand right in front of him now, staring into his blue eyes, feeling myself getting lost in them. I place my hand on his chest, and I feel him stiffen.

"Klaus, second chances exist for a reason and are meant to be given. But realistically, I haven't even given you a real first chance yet." I whisper to him, and now I finally see his frown turn into a hesitant smile.

"It took me a while to realize what my feelings for you. I..don't know if it's love, I really don't. But I'm willing to find out. You make me feel good, you make me feel free and...safe. I can't lose that, I won't let myself lose that. Lose you." I begin to lean in, and I failed to notice his hands placed on my waist, since his touch is so gentle.

"You don't know how happy it makes me to hear that, little wolf." He says to me quietly, glancing at me lips before gazing back into my eyes. "I don't expect you to have everything figured out about me, or your feelings. I don't expect us to be perfect on the first try. But if you mean what you're saying right now, give us a shot." He says as he lifts his hand to move my hair behind my ear. "I promise I won't hurt you this time."

I don't answer right away. I believe him. I trust him. So I don't think words are needed as a response. Instead, I do what we always find ourselves doing.

I lean in and press my lips against his. It feels good, it feels right, it feels like home. And just like that, my arms wrap themselves around his neck and he pulls me closer to him, deepening the kiss. I let him, allowing myself to feel loved through this intimacy.

Do I love him?

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

I don't know.

But he's not rushing me, so I won't rush myself. Everything will come together, I know it will. And for now, I believe him and I are on the right track.