6: Dance

I walk into the club, it's difficult to find my way to our regular booth. People our age aren't likely to be in clubs, but when you have a connection with the bouncers, all is possible.

I'm greeted with Klaus' presence once I finally get there, he's watching the crowd of our side of the room dance like animals.

I clear my throat loudly to get his attention and sit down. He grins when he sees me, "You actually came."

"Wait, it was my choice?" I ask him.

"Not really. Would've came to your place if you hadn't shown up." He chuckles.

"Why are you so determined to figure out what's wrong?" I arch an eyebrow at him.

"Is there a problem?"

I shrug. "It's just not...you."

"For tonight, it can be." He sends me a warm smile but it soon turns into a smirk. Sigh. It was too good to be true.

"Order us a few drinks please."

"I thought we were going to stay away from alcohol." He teases, but calls a bartender over anyway. He brings a tray with four glasses to us.

"Can't be in a club without drinking, thought you'd already know that." I shake my head, gulping down my drink. Truth is, I need motive to bring this out of myself.

"So, what'd you tell your parents?" It's a Thursday night, they wouldn't have allowed me to go clubbing.

"Simple. I'm at your place right now."

"And if they call and Rebekah denies it?"

"Then I'll tell them you took me out." I mutter.

He laughs coldly, "No one would believe that. Especially your mother." He grabs his own drink. "Speaking of your mother, she's been talking to my mom a lot. Seems to be keeping her distance from your father. What's up with that?" He shoots up his eyebrows before returning them to normal size.

"Remember when I asked what you talk about with them?" He nods.

"After you left, my following weekend was occupied with their endless bickering. They've been going at it whenever they see each other, which is weird because they seemed fine just last week." I sigh. It can be nothing, just the usual marriage complications during the mid-life. But it can also be more.

"Your parents own a strong business, they won't just break like that. The means of them ending also leads to the company ending, which will then lead to my parents being jobless." He scoffs.

"You think I don't know that?" I glare at him. "You really think I want this? My dad is criticizing enough, my mom building up his anger will only build up his anger on me." I rant out.

"But you haven't even done anything."

"Exactly what I'm saying."

"No, really," he leans forward, "If anything, he's an ungrateful piece of shit, Hayley. You're an awesome student, mannered daughter, athletic goddess, and...beautiful. Why doesn't he see that?" He furrows his eyebrows and I down my drink to keep from thinking he's actually complimenting me right now.

"Maybe it's because I'm not successful enough,"

"Bullshit." He says before I can finish. "You're one of the smartest girls in not only our year, but in the entire school. Well-behaved too, unless you're around me." He's back to having that little vicious twinkle in his eye.

"Being around you brings no change in my actions." I defend myself and he chuckles.

"Please, you get a lot more offensive and don't watch your mouth. What would mean ol' daddy say if he were to listen in one of our conversations?" He says slowly to mock me.