12: Control

The student council is running around the school, in and out of the gymnasium and have copies of paper in their hands. There's only one explanation for this.

The winter ball.

The winter ball is coming up and I grin when I see Rebekah reading one of the fliers pasted on the wall. She'll never know what happened last night, but I try not to think of it. Klaus left right after our kiss because we were attacked with awkwardness. The kiss was a mistake, our kisses are always mistakes.

"Thinking of somebody you'd like to go with?" I nudge Rebekah and she's caught off guard because she jumps a little. She clears her throat and brushes herself off, smiling at me. "Yes, actually."

"Wow, who's the lucky guy Bex?" I ask her, and her eyes gleam to something-or someone-behind me. I open my mouth to say something but stop myself, leaving my mouth open with a smile and turn to see who she's looking at. I'm utterly surprised when I see who it is. I look back at her with a quirked eyebrow.

"Bus boy?"

It's Matt, only a commoner. She gives me a straight look and sighs, walking past me to the cafeteria.

"Rebekah, he's Matt Donovan. He cleans tables for a living, you're telling me you couldn't do better than that?" I ask her, turning around and following.

"No, I couldn't. He's sweet, Hayley. Give him a shot, please. For me?" She pleads and pouts, clasping her hands together. I sigh, and watch as Matt laughs with one of his friends at his locker.

"Fine." I mutter and suddenly feel an arm wrap around me.

"Afternoon, ladies. What're we talking about?" Kol asks enthusiastically and I shove his arm off of me.

"Rebekah has her eyes set on someone new." I shrug.

"He's not new. It's just the interest that's new." Rebekah says slowly and Kol smirks.

"Who's the apple to her eye, now then?" He asks and I bob my head towards Matt. He follows and scrunches his eyebrows with his lips twisted.

"The commoner?" He asks.

"My thoughts exactly." I throw my hand in the air and she groans.

"Your new boy toy is coming over, Bex." Kol shudders and I hold in my laugh at his reaction.

"Now all you have to do is actually get him to ask you to the dance." I tease and she shoves both of us before turning around.

"Hi, Rebekah. Join me for lunch?" He brushes his hand across his hair and I smirk, watching them two while Kol watches in disgust.

"Uh, yes. I'll meet you outside." She grins and he nods. He looks at Kol and I with nervousness.

"Hey, Hayley. Kol." He greets and I wave at him with a smile where as Kil ignores him. I elbow him and he moans, bending over a bit.

"Hey, mate." He greets and rubs his stomach in agony. Matt chuckles and heads inside.

"Give him a chance, Kol." Rebekah requests before going to catch up to Matt.

Kol shakes his head and looms into the cafeteria, towards Bonnie's table. I watch and make my way towards an empty one. I sit down, sighing and put my head in my arms.

"Morning, love." I hear Klaus say into my ear after my hair that laid over it is moved out of the way.

I snatch his hand and push it away, sitting up. "Correction, it's noon." I deadpan and roll my eyes.

"Considering I just woke up less than a half an hour ago, I'm calling it morning." He gives me a fake smile and I narrow my eyes at him, not really in the mood after what happened between us last night.