The Return of Kain

*****
25- The Return of Kain

Pan sat beside Trunks as her gut twisted nervously. Piccolo had rounded up the group that had fought the Hiltheans eight years ago, plus the ones that had been at Brief Manor.

"Are they back?" Goku was the one to ask it.

"Yes," Piccolo's answer felt like ice over Pan's skin. "And they're different from before."

"Different good or different bad?" Goten asked.

"It's hard to tell," Piccolo muttered. "Dende couldn't get a clear reading on them. Their numbers are only half of what they used to be. Many must have died that night eight years ago. Dende says he's picking up something around them, though. Something unnatural."

"What does that mean?" Trunks asked.

"Magic," Piccolo answered. "Unlike Ki that we use from our body and nature, magic comes from somewhere else."

"Thad a bad sign then, isn't it?" Bulla frowned. "Our shields should be able to hold them in, right?"

"If it were eight years ago, then yes," Piccolo nodded. "But now that they have magic- I don't know."

Pan let out a shaky breath. She wondered who had died all those years ago and who had loved. Was Kain still alive? The thought made her shudder. Were they coming back for revenge? They had to be.

Pan glanced down at the moonstone hanging around her neck. It had saved them last time, but only because it needed to keep Pan alive, so it's true wielder could be born. Each day, Sayuri looked more and more like the young girl from Pan's vision; the only difference was that Sayuri had dark hair.

The thought made Pan sick. She swayed in her seat and grabbed the table to catch herself from falling.

"Pan!" Trunks gasped, and he quickly supported her.

Pan could feel her voice shaking as she spoke. "Sayuri can't know that the stone is waiting for her. She's too young!" She cried.

Trunks let out a shaky breath. "She won't," he promised. "If a fight breaks out, Sayuri will be safe. She doesn't have to know about the stone until she's older- much older," he assured Pan.

"He's right, Panny," Goku said. "Sayuri will be safe, and as far as she knows- the moonstone is yours."

Piccolo suspected that if the Hiltheans could get past the shields, they would show up at the party. He advised everyone to act as normal as possible, not cause any panic, and a tiny possibility that they weren't there to fight again.

Once the meeting ended, Trunks, Goten, and Alister went to scout West City and make sure nothing seemed suspicious. Pan headed towards the kitchen, where the kids were sent to find Sayuri.

"Pan," Bulla caught up with her. Her blue eyes were wide. "What are you going to do?"

"About what?" Pan asked.

Bulla gave her a pointed look towards her stomach.

"I don't know," Pan sighed.

"Are you going to tell Trunks before they party?"

"Definitely not-" Pan shook her head. "He's already stressed out enough. If he finds out I'm pregnant, he'll be even more on edge."

"You can't hide it until you give birth," Bulla said gently.

"I know," Pan sighed. "Today was supposed to be such a happy day too," she muttered.

XxXxX