Decades of Bitterness

*****
19- Decades of Bitterness

Kain looked out the spaceship's observation deck with a blank stare. The earth floated in the distance outside of the large windows. Its blue ocean seemed endless. It's lands that peeked out of the water were a mixture of greens and browns met. White fluffy clouds swirled above the ground.

Over the span of his 25 years, Kain had seen many planets. None of them had been so richly beautiful as the earth, though. None of them had a woman that was brave enough to hiss in his face.

Kain's lips twitched, and he fought back a laugh as he thought about the Saiyan girl. No one had ever dared to glare at him like that, and those who even thought to attempt it was usually dead before they reconsidered.

A soft sigh sounded beside him, and Kain turned to see his little sister. Her blonde hair was down in loose curls as she pouted down at the earth.

"I don't understand what's so special about it," she muttered.

"Wouldn't you like a home?" Kain asked her.

After Frieza had destroyed their home planet, their race had become nomads. They never stayed in one place for too long, but Kain couldn't help but think that staying on a planet and calling it home wouldn't be too bad as long as that Saiyan girl with angry eyes would be there to yell at him some.

"This is our home," Hera wrapped her arms around herself tightly.

Kain tilted his head slightly. Like him, Hera had been born and raised on the ship. He knew she was scared of things changing.

"Is Father really going to fight them?" She asked gently. "The Saiyans, I mean. Didn't that one say we could live together? If the earth is the planet that Father decides that we should live on, then why can't we do just that?"

"The Saiyans are a powerful and dominate race," Kain said. "It's true they haven't taken over the earth and turned the humans into slaves, but that's because they're the strongest things on that planet. They fear no man because none can control them. They've been let loose to run as wild as they wished with no one to tell them no," his voice hardened. How nice it must be to have so much freedom, he thought bitterly.

"But we are a powerful and dominate race as well," Kain continued. "There's no way we would be able to live peacefully on the earth with the Saiyans. Eventually, one of us would demand subjection from the other."

"Is that what father wants?" Hera asked. "To make the Saiyans be in subjection to him?"

"No," Kain's lips twitched. "He wants to kill them."

Hera gasped in horror, "kill them?! Why? I thought Father was friends with-"

"You really know nothing," Kain sighed. His father sheltered her too much, but Kain wasn't the type of person to hide things. "Father hates the Saiyans," he began. "Years ago, King Vegeta knew that Frieza was going to destroy our planet and didn't warn King Rory, our grandfather. Father was just a boy and barely made it out alive with the remaining survivors. Now only a little over 30 of us are left, and only 15 can fight."

"Lady Hera!" Zara, Hera's guard, and maid ran up to them.

"Is it true?!" Hera rounded on Zara, with tears in her eyes. "Did the Saiyans really refuse to warn us before Freiza blew up our planet?"

Zara's eyes widened in surprise. "Who told you that?"

"I did," Kain said, daring Zara to scold him.

Zara didn't, of course. Anytime she met Kain's gaze, her cheeks would go red. He found it amusing how easily won over she could get with just a look from him.