A Visitor From the Future

*****
17- A Visitor From the Future

Sayuri let out a small sigh as she nestled into her soft sheets. Her bed was so comfortable that she didn't even want to think about getting up.

Sayuri's eyes popped open, and she sat up quickly. Her bed! She was in her bed in the future! The soft pink sheets glowed from her lamp beside her bed. She glanced around quickly and saw that her room looked just as it had before she left. Had she even gone to the past, or had it been just a dream?

Quickly, Sayuri jumped out of her bed. She slipped on her slippers and rushed out of her room. The large house was unusually quiet. Even though it was late at night, someone was always usually awake doing something.

A light up ahead glowed in the darkness, and Sayuri rushed forward. She ran until she entered a familiar study. It was large, with bookshelves to the ceiling. Two desks sat inside of it, with a fireplace and a couch. Sayuri had spent a lot of time inside the study with her parents, reading and enjoying their company. Her eyes quickly scanned the room, and she spotted a familiar figure near the windowsill.

The person seemed to be putting away books, so their back was to Sayuri. Their long dark hair was wild down their back, and Sayuri could feel herself shaking.

"Mama?" She whispered.

The person turned, their dark eyes lighting up as a warm smile crossed their face. "Hi, Baby, can't sleep?"

Sayuri let out a small sob and ran across the room until she was hugging her Mama tightly. She heard her let out a small gasp in surprise before she was hugging her back.

"Say?" Her Mama asked gently. "What's wrong, Sweetheart? Did you have a bad dream?"

Sayuri clutched her mother as she sobbed. "It was the worst!" She said between hiccups. "You were hurt! And you weren't waking up. It was all my fault, too! I'm so sorry!"

"I'm okay," her Mama assured her as she rubbed her arms. "How could I have gotten hurt when I stay here all the time?"

Sayuri sniffed, "where's Bankei and Daddy?"

"Bankei?" Her Mama's voice was as gentle as always. "Who is that?"

Sayuri leaned back quickly. Her Mama looked the same as she remembered her, but something wasn't right! There was a blankness to her eyes. It was as if she were a robot moving about with no will of her own.

"Should I call for your father?"

"What's wrong?" A deep voice from the doorway asked.

Chills ran down Sayuri as her eyes widened. Her gut twisted violently as she turned around. She let out a small scream as she grabbed her Mama and shielded her behind her. "Where's my Daddy?!" She demanded.

The man in the doorway took a step into the light. His sharp features cast shadows across his pale face. He moved some of his blond hair out of his face, and his red eyes bore into Sayuri's. A wicked smirk spread across his face.

"I'm right here," Kain said.

Sayuri screamed as her eyes shot open. She fought to catch her breath as she looked up at the ceiling. It took her a few seconds to realize that it was just a dream. A nightmare. Her heart was restless as she stared up at the ceiling for several minutes, willing herself to calm down.

It was a nightmare. It wasn't real. Kain didn't have her Mama. Her Daddy was just fine.

Slowly, Sayuri sat up and looked over at Bankei, who was sleeping next to her. They were staying at Trunks and Pan's apartment, and she wasn't surprised that Bankei didn't wake up. He slept like a rock.