Kisses

*****
13- Kisses

Sayuri was on the verge of slamming her head against the table repeatedly. Books about stones and gems spread out across the table in front of her, but none of them had what she was searching for.

It had only been a few weeks since she and Bankei had been pulled from school. They were now homeschooled, which Sayuri didn't mind. It gave her more time to study, and she could always say she was researching gems for a paper. It didn't look like the type of moonstone she was searching for would be in any books from the earth, but there wasn't anything about Saiyan gemology anywhere. She was out of luck.

"You look like you're about to bang your head against that table."

Sayuri gasped and glanced up to see Jude leaning against the table. He brushed some of his dark hair out of his eyes and picked up a book. She let out a sigh and looked at another book. Jude came twice weekly to check up on her and Bankei. She didn't ask him how things were in the future because she knew he would tell her if there had been any changes.

"I brought this with me," Jude held out an old red leather-bound book. "It's something my grandfather managed to bring with him years ago. It has a little bit of information about the moonstone, though it's everything we already know. Your Dad has already looked through it countless times, but he thought that maybe you could find some he couldn't."

Sayuri took the book gently with a small sigh. "If Daddy couldn't find anything, why would he think I would?"

Jude took a seat beside her and looked at her with a gentle expression. It was a look that caused Sayuri to grow warm and her heart to beat against her chest. He reached forward and brushed some of her hair out of her eyes. Just a simple touch from him was enough to make her heart pounded even more.

"Say," he said gently. "You are smart, and you pick up things others don't. Like your Mom," he said.

Sayuri swallowed hard. "Am I really like her?" She asked softly.

"Your dad said you were, and he would know the best, right?" Jude smiled.

Sayuri's lips twitched into a smile as well. Trunks did often say that she acted just like Pan, much to both girls' annoyance.

"Thank you," Sayuri smiled at Jude. "For coming to check up on Bankei and me so often. I know Daddy makes you, but still-"

"Actually," Jude began, his cheeks turning a soft pink. "Your dad has only asked me to come a few times. He's scared of sending me too often because he doesn't want to cause suspicion. I choose to come the other times anyway. I miss you, Say."

"I miss you too, Junie," she said softly.

He was more than just her best friend. She knew he felt the same way about her. She could see it in his eyes. There would always be something more between them.

Sayuri's cheeks were warm, and she watched as Jude leaned down slightly. His lips were only inches from hers. Her eyes widened before they fluttered shut, and she parted her lips expectantly.

"You jerk!"

Sayuri jumped, as did Jude. They shared a look before they jumped up and ran to the door to peek out. Pan was stomping down the hall, her hands on her hips. Trunks followed behind her, his brows furrowed together with his arms crossed over his chest. They were fighting. Again.

"I don't care!" Trunks yelled after her. "Guys like that are losers! Hitting on a girl who they know is taken."

"But I wasn't doing anything!" Pan spat back at him. "I was ignoring them! I don't care about those guys!"