Chapter Fifteen: Elephant's Memory

Mad.

And worried.

Amy was mad and worried.

Spencer had acted in a reckless, reckless way. Putting himself in danger so much that he could've gotten killed. HE COULD'VE GOTTEN KILLED. And he still did it. Amy was angry because she knew he had willingly risked it all.

But she was also worried because she'd seen him during the case. She understood what it was doing to him. Everybody had a case that felt personal to them, and this was it for Spencer. The point was, she thought, that Spencer related to the unsub, Owen, because Owen had been bullied. And, well, according to what she figured out, Spencer had been too.

Amy knew she was going to try and help him. Because she had to. Helping others, friends especially, was her life's purpose.

°°°°°°°°°°

When they were back at headquarters Amy sat down on her chair and started working on some paperwork which she didn't actually need to finish that night. The rest of the team was tired so they were all going home, well, all of them besides Spencer.

Penny came to say hi when they'd gotten back and she asked Amy if she wanted to go out.

"Come on, just a couple of drinks"

"No really Pen, I gotta do this"

"You know, you really can be a drag sometimes. But... I still love you" Penny replied cheerfully.

"I love you too girlie"

"I know you do!" Penny said while walking away. Amy did love her. She had a bright soul and a big heart. Even too big sometimes. Amy promised to herself that she would make room for a girls night in the following days.

Amy took a random piece of paper on her desk and she crumpled it up. She started throwing it from hand to hand, before turning her chair to her left to face Spencer.

"Hey grumpy doctor, how's it hanging?"

Spencer proceeded to ignore her. Amy kept moving the ball around still looking at him.

"Okay... well... since you're particularly talkative tonight, why don't I handle the conversation?".

Again, no response.

"I am gonna reveal... to you two big truths. Number one is: I did not need to finish any paperwork but I was not willing to let you drown in ghosts of the past over here while I'm out partying"

Amy could catch a glimpse of a smile, forming behind the genius's wavy hair.

"Number two is, and I'm being completely honest here, no filter whatsoever: you, illustrious Dr. Reid, have made me very angry today. And you made me angry because you made me worried. And I don't like being worried you're gonna die. Aaaaand I don't like you putting your life on the line in a dumb way, like you did today" Amy paused to see if this time Spencer was gonna respond.

"I appreciate it" Spencer said, his voice didn't sound sarcastic.

"Umm, you... appreciate it?"

"Well yes, you never say anything even remotely negative about anyone or anything, so I appreciate you telling me the truth about how you felt. I know it must've been hard"

Amy could've started freaking out right then and there but she persisted

"Then, I appreciate your appreciation but don't try turning this conversation around, we're talking about you, doc"

Spencer went back to his non-responsiveness as Amy kept adamantly playing with the paper ball.

"Okay... so I get that you don't wanna share your... trauma... with me, but I think it could be helpful. If you want to talk..."