Chapter Three: The cabin

"Oh my god Spencer, that's the cabin, that's it, the lights are on"

"We can't be sure it's his cabin"

"You're right, but I think we should get a closer look"

"I don't know Amy, it may not be safe, you're not an agent-"

"Let's go check, come on", before Amy could get any closer Spencer intervened:

"It's his cabin"

"How are you so sure all of a sudden?"

"Look at the garden, it's so tidy and organized, the windows are seven, and it's in the seventh quadrant, according to the map of the woods", he seemed genuinely convinced, that meant she did it, she found him.

"The lights are on, he's inside"

"I'm gonna call the others"

Amy studied the cabin of the man who kidnapped her. He was so predictable, and she felt powerful having discovered his safe place. Spencer was on his phone, speaking quietly, his thin figure walking back and forth from a couple of trees. He hung up and started walking back to her.

"They should be here in a while, we can't afford to risk it-" as he was talking what Amy had feared just proved to be true. A scream, a woman's scream, tore the night air apart. He had kidnapped another girl. And then another voice could be heard. A man's voice, Joe's voice. He was yelling. That wasn't like him. He was... yelling. He didn't have control.

"He didn't wait for the seventh day to kidnap someone else. He's gonna kill her Spencer."

"We can't be sure"

"He never yells at the victim" she had no doubts in her mind.

"He may be asserting dominance, we don't-"

"That girl is being killed inside that cabin and I'm not just watching that happen" Amy said in a decisive tone.

"Amy, you can't go in, he's armed", Spencer didn't want to argue with her but what she was saying was crazy.

"I need to save her"

"It's not safe"

"She's gonna die, Joe's already lost track of his schedule"

"I can't let you go in there"

"I'm sorry, but I have to go in"

"No, Amy, you ca-" but Amy knew what she had to do.

She approached a window where the light was turned off and slowly opened it. If she were to die, she was going to do so by saving someone else. The room was dark but she could still see the outline of the door. I need to save this girl if it's the last thing I do. She turned the doorknob slowly, carefully, letting the light from the hallway shine on her face. She could start to see the room at the end of it. But neither Joe nor the girl were in sight. Their voices, on the other hand, were getting louder. And they were coming from the living room. Amy moved the door aside silently as she started stepping outside, towards the screams of the girl. One step. Another. She was unnoticed.

And then she saw his back. He hadn't changed since the last time she saw him. His bald head, sweaty. he was pointing a gun directly at this girl's head, newspapers under her feet so that the mess of blood would be contained. The girl was turned the other way, he was a coward, he'd always been, and he couldn't look at someone while taking life away from them. She was at the entrance. The scene was clear. And what she had to do was obvious. She creeped up from behind him, he was only one step away. She knew what she had to do. She had to save the girl's life.