Chapter Ten: Counseling

[trigger warning: addiction, sorri again :/]

Ever since Spencer was back, Amy found it harder to forget what she felt, what she wanted. But she knew how to keep a hold of herself. She did let some things slide. Maybe she stared at him for a little longer and talked to him whenever she got the chance.

At the beginning Spencer was doing the same thing, and the two were even better friends than before. But since a few days he'd become a little closed off.

Amy had been trying to figure out how to get him to feel better, but every time someone tried to approach him he came off as aggressive. Especially to Em, even when she didn't do anything remotely wrong or irritating. And Amy did not want to piss him off or unsettle him. So she calculated every single word with precision.

He acted so passive aggressive on the jet, it was hard to watch. Amy barely recognized him.

It was obvious it had something to do with Hankel, but it was unnatural. She checked off all the possibilities, thinking of what could be causing this. She knew it couldn't be just the trauma.

She studied his hands and his pupils, and the way he raised his eyebrows annoyed.

Even at the police station, Spencer pulled off quite the stunt with Emily, almost refusing to work with her. Amy needed to reach out.

Luckily, the perfect occasion presented itself to her. As a matter of fact Hotch had chosen the two of them to go together to question some witnesses.

Amy tried to carefully spark up a conversation, but all her attempts failed miserably.

When they actually got to the location and found the people they were supposed to question, Spencer could not handle himself. He was throwing out these phrases and pedantic comments, scaring the witnesses and confusing them.

It was actually making the questioning harder. Amy tried to glance at him to get him under control, but he wouldn't even look at her.

Amy was genuinely pissed off, but she wouldn't have said anything about it in a million years, at least not in a confrontational way.

So she tried to do the thing she could do best: help.

When they got out and hardly finished asking the questions they were supposed to, Amy grabbed Spencer's arm and tried to stop his fast pace. As soon as he turned around Amy started regretting what she just did, she spoke gently, slowly, afraid she might be making a mistake

"Hey, umm... okay so... listen, I know I can't even begin to understand what happened to you and how it has affected you, but I just want you to know that you can talk to me, about anything. If you want to vent, if you want to... yell... I don't really know. Um... I'm sorry if I'm putting too much pressure on you, just, just know that my door is always open, if you need me- if you need anything" Amy managed to get out a coherent speech, a bit of stutters here and there uncovered the fact that she was nervous to talk about this. But she was proud she'd been brave enough to come out and try to support him.

Spencer was listening with frozen eyes, taking in each one of her words. Almost right after she was finished speaking he responded in a mean, diminishing tone

"Thank you Amy, but your counseling's the last thing I need right now".

His voice was rough, violent, he was mocking her.

Amy couldn't believe that was his answer and she just stood there. Her eyes were getting watery under her glasses but, once again, she pushed the tears back in.

God she hated this so much, so much, she wasn't like this usually, she hated being so damn sensitive.

Looking at him was getting too hard so she broke the eye contact and looked at the ground.