Chapter One: Seven

Amy Thomas: successful young lawyer, piano player, interestingly good baker, huge nerd and most importantly kidnapping victim.

She had read many books and essays on criminology and serial killers, but she couldn't believe that SHE managed to get kidnapped. Where did she go wrong? Could she had known in advance? What was she supposed to do? Nonetheless, this occurrence did add some... curious turns to her day-to-day life. Being a criminal profiler was her long lost dream and maybe, in a weird, twisted way, this was her chance to prove herself.

She already figured out her kidnapper, he had a severe case of OCD, which she thought was related to the number seven. Everywhere she looked everything would always come back to seven, seven, seven. The guy who kidnapped her, Joe actually, was extremely organized and he thought his moves through carefully. He made her play his wife, she came to understand. He even called her "honey", and there was no doubt in her head that if she really wanted to get out of this, she had to play along, no matter how much it disgusted her. She had to fit the role of the surrogate. Even though she didn't have the courage to admit it to herself, she found it weird he hadn't raped her. He just wanted to have dinner with her, talk to her... be with her. During these conversations she always tried to figure out as many details as possible about the unsub- well, actually it wasn't an unsub, she knew who he was, he wasn't UNKNOWN per se. She also thought she knew his stressor, his ex-wife repeatedly cheated on him. And judging by the empty house, she also thought he may have gotten divorced, that could've been his trigger. And lastly, she knew he had already decided to kill her, he didn't wear a disguise.

Joe was the unsub™, he was a white man, in his 30s, and generally unattractive. He was bald, pale and wore glasses. He was also skinny and looked weak, no wonder he used a date-rape drug to abduct her. She probably could've beat him in a physical fight one on one.

She had been taken away a couple of days prior when she heard something from the tv that Joe perpetually left on during meals. She heard a chance. The BAU was here, and looking for none other than her. And then another miracle: she saw a phone number displayed on the screen. An FBI hotline. She memorized it and held onto it as hard as she could. It was fundamental for her survival.

The first chance she got, when he was out shopping as usual at 14:00 military time (multiple of 7, of course) she tried to set herself free, yet again, using a bobby pin she managed to get from her hair. Her previous attempts all failed, but she wasn't willing to give up. She kept moving the object precisely to get rid of the handcuffs. Her movements became fast, but calculated. Until... it worked. It worked! The handcuffs fell to the floor and she proceeded to untie her feet. She got up, by herself. She got out of the room and reached for a phone. Mumbling the number to herself she dialed it as quick as she could.

"Hello? Hello? Is this the FBI hotline?" her real voice asked, she heard it for the first time in days.

"Yes, yes it is" a deep male voice responded from the phone. It looked like it belonged to the man she had seen on the tv.

"My name is Amy Thomas, I'm the girl that was kidnapped four days ago" she replied steadily.

"Where are you calling from?"

"I don't know for sure, the man who kidnapped me is named Joe, he has OCD, a day job and he got divorced, I'm a surrogate for his ex-wife" she spoke quickly, as she always did when she was agitated, but she wanted to give them as much information as possible.

"Ms. Thomas, Ms. Thomas!" she managed to hear over her voice ranting about her own kidnapping.

"Sorry, I was- I'll shut up" she didn't notice that she was talking too much until the FBI agent interrupted her.