Still Bound

What did you think was going to happen, in the end? You could see that something had changed, but no one wanted to admit it. Things were getting worse by the day and it was only a matter of time before everything went up in flames. You found yourself keeping the blinds drawn all day and all night, only to be blinded by the scalding sun when someone chose to open them for you. Your mother swore that sunlight was good for you, so why does it hurt so much when it shines through the windows of your childhood bedroom? Why is it only the darkness that you crave, as you close your door once food is finally in your stomach?

You cocoon yourself in the comfort of blankets, books, and journals, pouring your soul out to strangers instead of friends, because it seems like the ones you didn't know cared more about your well-being, anyway. You reached deep into your mind and soul, coughing up the poison you had been forcing down for years. In a split second, you felt the pain and relief, the loneliness and the comfort. It was hard to explain to the people who actually cared about you that you were experiencing both numbness and an excruciating hold all at once. Who would believe such nonsense? Your mother's voice echoes in your head as you begin to tell your therapist, and those numb days come rushing back.

It's hard to explain to the ones who actually care, but they asked how you felt, and you were not going to lie about it anymore. Those days were over.