Thirty-one

I grunted out of the pain that shot through my legs as I tried to get up from the bed. While I relaxed after the orgasm I had, Charlie went out to make himself some tea but now he was watching me struggle with a self-satisfied smirk on his lips.

He tried to hide the smirk with the cup in his hand but I could tell it was there.

Cheeky bugger.

"Do you need help?"

"No!" I protested, looking up at him before I fell to the floor with an 'oof' sound leaving my mouth, followed by Charlie laughing. "Stop laughing at me!"

He kept smirking as he took another sip of his tea. He then pushed himself off the doorframe, placed the cup on the dresser before he approached me.

He reached down to wrap his arm around my waist, and I sighed as I let him help me back up on the bed.

"I'm gonna cook us dinner." Charlie told me, walking back to the dresser. He found a pair of knickers for me and I struggled with getting them on, but eventually I did.

"Why do you suddenly cook so much?" I asked. "You never did before."

"Can't I spoil my girlfriend from time to time?" He asked and looked down at me with his hands shoved into the pockets of his trousers.

I looked at his arm. It was stained with dry blood. He really needed to clean that up.

"You need to stop doing that." I said as I looked up at him. "You need to stop with the guilt. We can't move on if you keep acting on it. That's not the way to get back to normal."

Charlie sighed and stepped closer to me, bringing his hands up to cup my face. He tilted my head back, my eyes meeting his.

"How do you want me to act?" He asked. "I'm genuinely curious, because how am I supposed to let go of the guilt when I'm constantly reminded every time I go to sleep on the sofa or when I can't be in the shop anymore because your sisters are there and you don't want them to yell at me."

I placed my hands on top of his, giving them a squeeze.

"That's not on me." I said, trying to stay calm because I knew this could easily turn into a fight.

"I'm aware of that." He breathed heavily, walking towards the door. "It's on me. That's why I'm trying to make things right."

"By cooking dinner?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "I appreciate that but—"

"But what, Ember?!" He raised his voice as he turned around to look at me. "All I said was that I was going to cook us dinner and then you go and make it so much deeper than it has to be!"

I took a deep breath, clenching my jaw. Every time he yelled or raised his voice, I automatically wanted to do the same, but right now I was trying to stay calm.

"Okay." I said before I looked at him again. "You're right. That one's on me. I'm sorry."

I looked down at my hands, fidgeting with them for a moment before I stood up and walked to the dresser to get dressed. I found a pair of shorts and pulled them on before I walked out into the bathroom, Charlie following me.

I stopped and turned towards him, pressing a hand to his chest.

"What are you doing?" I asked. "Are you gonna watch me pee or something?"

He sighed and held his hands up surrender before backing up.

"We're not finished talking."

"What more is there to talk about?" I asked. "I swear you just want to pick a fight."

I slammed the door in his face, locking it. I did my business and after washing and drying my hands, I placed myself in front of the mirror.

Charlie had left some blood stained on my stomach. Once I got it washed off, I left the bathroom, only to see Charlie in the kitchen, already cooking something.

"Are you not gonna wear a shirt?" He asked and looked at me. I was only wearing my shorts and a bra.

"Why?" I frowned. "Are my boobs distracting you? You're wearing less on your torso than I am right now."

"I wasn't complaining." He rolled his eyes while I walked over to sit by the table. "When can I move into the bedroom again?"

Wasn't expecting that question.

"I'm tired of sleeping on the sofa and honestly it makes my back hurt." He said. "I want to be able to share a bed with you again."

I bit my lip as I watched his back muscles as he cooked something that was starting to look delicious.

"Ember?"

"I don't know." I sighed. "I don't know what to say. If I say no, you'll get mad and if I say yes, I'm gonna regret it because—"

"Because of what?" He asked, cutting me off like he always did when he was annoyed. "Because you can't use me for anything but sex?"

What?

I started laughing at his offensive comment, but once I saw his face and realised he was being serious, I stood up as my grimace dropped.

"What did you just say?"

"You heard me." He pressed. "You want me to fuck you, but when that's over, you can't trust me because I made a mistake."

"A mistake?" I scoffed. "You left me for six months, Charlie. Six. What do you expect me to do? Welcome you with open arms? Tell you how much I love you and that I'll do anything for you? Of course I'm not gonna do that. You know me. Screw me over and you really have to work for me to trust you again."

"But you trust me well enough to have sex with me?" He asked, stepping closer to me.

Why is he being like this?

"You're right." I said. "I'm sorry. We won't have sex again. My vagina will stay far away from your dick."

I walked past him but he grabbed my wrist. I turned around, my hand coming up to slap him, though I quickly realised what was happening and I stopped myself before my hand came in contact with his cheek.

You do not hit your partner.

"I'm sorry." He sighed. "I just miss how we used to be."

"So do I!" I raised my voice. "But you're the one who ruined it so don't take it out on me!"

"Em—"

"My heart shattered the day you left me!" I continued as my voice broke and tears formed in my eyes. "You took every piece of me with you when you left. I have never been on my own before and I may sound fucking pathetic that I am the complete opposite of independent but I've relied on you since we were eleven. So fuck you for speaking to me in that way. No, you know what? Just fuck you in general."

"Em—" he tried again but I cut him off once again.

"You said you'd do anything to regain my trust." I said. "But when it takes a little longer than you'd like, you just decide to act like an asshole towards me?"

"Ember can you just—"

"No!" I yelled and ripped my arm from his grip. "You are lucky that I'm letting you stay here."

"Letting me stay?" He questioned. "This is our home."

I let out a laugh, shaking my head while I took a step back.

"I bought this loft, not you!" I said. "This is my flat you arrogant piece of shit! If you are so unhappy with how things are going, you can fuck off and move out! See if I care."