[8] Double-Crossed Signals

The following morning, FP and Alice made their way into school (they were early for a change) to find groups of students talking loudly to one another as if there was a new rumor that they could gossip about for the next few weeks.

Usually, cliques of students talking to one another wasn't unusual for a high school, but it wasn't even nine in the morning yet, which made it suspicious. They had expected to see tired and moody people in the halls, but instead it looked like everybody had tons of energy.

"What the hell is going on here?" FP asked Fred and Hermione, who were standing at the lockers. They seemed to be the only ones who weren't engaged in the morning gossip.

"You didn't hear? The Blossom's were robbed last night." Hermione told them, explaining perfectly why everyone was so worked up.

The richest family in town getting robbed wasn't everyday news. Lots of students couldn't understand how anybody had the guts to even set foot around their mansion.

"Oh, wow... do they know who did it?" Alice asked nonchalantly, trying to mask her cheeks flushing red.

She felt the hand that FP had around her tighten, probably because his nerves were growing too. He had been so convinced they had gotten away with it, but had forgotten that they could always get caught after the act.

"Appears not. There is no trace left of the thief. They think it has been someone who has done this before, they are good at wiping their tracks." Fred added to Hermione's story.

Truthfully, the Andrews boy had always been against violence, but he couldn't bring himself to find any sympathy for the Blossom family.

"What has been stolen?" FP asked them, trying to play it off cool. He knew very well that thousands of dollars had been taken away, that were now locked in the safe in his trailer.

"Just a bunch of cash. Apparently from a place only family knows where it was hidden, so they think it's an inside job." Hermione looked at Fred, who nodded in agreement.

It was all they had heard this morning, between the people who were talking about whether the Blossoms were witches or not, and some crazy theories about who would have been insane enough to rob a family like theirs.

"Didn't they just do it for the insurance money? Wouldn't be surprised." Alice shrugged unimpressed.

It was the first thing that came to mind that wouldn't lead any of the story to them. Besides, a family like that should have some people on the inside who would gladly help them commit fraud to help them get even more loaded.

"Gossip is spreading fast, I see?" Penelope strolled through the hall towards the four friends and shot Alice a nasty look.

"You did this, didn't you?" She scowled.

Though the redheaded girl had no proof whatsoever, the two had a rivalry ever since the first day of high school. If she had a chance to accuse Alice of something, she wouldn't let that opportunity go.

"As if I have nothing better to do, Penelope." Alice spat back, trying not to let her anger get the best of her.

"Besides, you all got it covered don't you? Or are you missing out on your Prada bag this month?" Alice took a step into her direction and stopped right in front of her face. One more move, and she had shoved her against the lockers.

"Don't expect me to feel any kind of sympathy for you." She hissed dangerously.

"Watch you girlfriend, Forsythe. She's in dangerous waters." Penelope eyed the boy that was standing behind her, demanding for him to calm her down. She knew better than to use violence, but Alice wasn't afraid to punch her once more.