[31] A New Feeling, An Old Feeling

Year 16...

"Come on, just one more." Hal teased, as he pulled his girlfriend impossibly close. Alice giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck to give him another kiss.

FP glared at them while cleaning up the table, trying his hardest to hide his disgust. It might have been two years since the couple got together, he would never get used to them being affectionate under his nose. Then again, he wasn't even sure why that bothered him so much. He was happy that she was so happy, but had it to be with a man like Hal?

"Okay, the last one." Hal bit his bottom lip and kissed his girlfriend once more, his hands traveling lower and lower.

FP looked away, and as he did he locked eyes with Charles, who gave his father a knowing look. He wasn't Hal's biggest fan either, but watching his father being so uncomfortable around the two was more amusing than it should be.

"Hmm, do you really have to go?" Alice pouted, her arms keeping him as close as possible.

"The news isn't anchoring itself. I'll make it up to you, promise." He playfully slapped her ass before locking their lips once more.

Alice watched him with a smile as he left and helped FP clean the rest. The room was filled with a thick tension that only FP seemed to be noticing.

He was just about to make a nasty comment that was indirect enough for Alice not to call him out in front of their son, until he realized that Charles seemed to be anywhere but Earth.

"Boy, you've been so silent. Is everything okay?" He asked him, trying to make him wake up from whatever universe he was visiting.

He stayed silent. Not because he ignored him, simply because he didn't process his father's words. Alice seemed to notice something was off now too, and grew worried.

"Honey?" She placed her hand on his shoulder, finally making him look up.

Suddenly, as if there was a delay, he realized what his father had been asking him.

"I'm not sure." He answered quietly, still trying to be present with his mind and body in the same space as his parents.

"Hey, talk to us." FP said, sharing a concerned look with Alice, both not sure what to expect.

Charles used to be an open book, so that he was struggling to tell what was going on wasn't a good sign.

"Baby, you're scaring me." Alice said worriedly, her eyes glossing over.

Charles sighed a little and walked over to the couch, with Alice and FP following him closely. He didn't want to concern anyone, especially when it was probably way bigger in his head than it was to them.

"You can tell us anything." FP encouraged him softly, hoping that he would know that he was in a safe space.

He looked up at his parents and suddenly felt a wave of peace wash over him. Charles knew his dad was right. He could tell them anything. Always. No exceptions.

"I think I'm in love." He confessed, his cheeks blushing just slightly.

"Honey, that is a wonderful thing." Alice's eyes beamed and she shared a quick look with FP of relief.

Sure, it was a sign of their boy growing up, but this was something they could all relate to. It was just new too him but they'd always be there to give him advice.

"Or did someone break your heart?" FP asked, wondering if that was the thing that got him so upset.

"No, not yet anyway." He shrugged a little, feeling his cheeks beat up. There was no way out anymore, at least not in a way that he could drop it without any suspicion.