6. the heartbreak

**the lovely piano tune I mention in the chapter is linked if you want to give it a listen. one of my favs piano covers yet:)

A/N - I don't know if I mentioned this but this is Claire's story. I will alternate into different perspectives if needed.

~*~

Claire looked out on her balcony. The sun settled over the beautiful city of Paris. Claire sighed as she leaned over her balcony.

She always loved the sunsets, it brought a warm feeling to Claire's heart. She leaned over the railing looking down at the streets of Paris. As the night fell, more and more people headed into their homes with their loved ones. Claire watched each one of them until she got tired and headed inside.

"I wish there was more that I could do instead of hanging around here and doing nothing."

Claire whispered to herself as she walked over to her sleeping kwami. Claire smiled and walked over to her piano which had been collecting dust since she moved here. Claire felt unmotivated to start playing music again but she had nothing better to do she thought.

She glided her hand softly against all the keys. She finally landed her thumb on middle C. Claire started playing one of her favorite pieces on the piano. It was called In the Rain. (A/N - cue the song if you want)

The piano softly filled the room as she played the melody of the song. Hitting each note perfectly, playing each accompanying chord perfectly. She closed her eyes and fell back in love with the music. As the tempo of the song started to decrease she opened her eyes.

"Wow. That was beautiful."

Claire jolted and quickly spun around to see a Chat Noir standing in the doorway.

"Sorry I didn't mean to frighten you."

Chat Noir softly reassured Claire. It was quiet between the two, Chat Noir didn't seem like his usual chatty self and Claire noticed it.

"C-come in, sit with me."

Claire scooted to one side of the piano bench and Chat Noir took the other.

"Do y-you know how to play?"

Claire put her hands on one side and looked up at Chat Noir. He nodded and Claire started to play the beginning of the song once more. Chat Noir hadn't heard this song before, so he didn't know the notes right away. He played it by ear, playing the accompanying chords as Claire played the melody. The song progressed and they were now playing the melody.

~*~

"Y-You okay Chat? You seem to be less chatty than usual?"

Claire had tried to make a joke but it didn't work. Chat Noir got up and went out on the balcony. Claire followed as he leaned on her railings.

"I just had a bad day. I didn't want to be alone tonight and I saw your balcony wide open so I thought I would come to see you. If that's okay?"

He didn't look at Claire, he was just staring out into the city.

"You are always welcome here. I could always use the company."