43

It was a fresh Saturday morning with Laurel preparing breakfast in the kitchen, for three. Iris was still around hence the third plate. Elle was dangling on to her mother like a tail constantly standing with her in the kitchen even though she couldn't see anything of what was going on above her. Iris was cleaning up in the living room, for once. She still had her moods obviously throughout her stay there but Laurel couldn't care less ever since their last conversation. She didn't hate her as such but just did not care and decided to let Iris live her life the way Iris sees fit.

Iris walked into their space in an oversized tee and watched how far Laurel was with the meal. After a few minutes she picked out an egg and handed it to Elle.

"What are you doing?" Laurel asked as Elle carefully welcomed the egg into her arms. She stared at it carefully then her eyes wind up to her mum then back to egg.

"They say, if you give a baby an egg they will handle it with care. Let's see."

"They?" She crocked her eye brow.

"I got it from tiktok." Iris shrugged with a huge smile. Elle looked fascinated with the egg and held on to it carefully with out dropping it.

"See, look at the way she is holding it."

"Yeah, but she is going to drop it any minute." Laurel knelt down. "Can I have it, sweetie?"

"No!" Elle spat, turning around and walking on with her egg. The sisters looked at each other and then giggled slightly. 

"Elle, mummy needs that." Laurel called out again.

"No," She turned around with a pout on her face then shook her head. Laurel found it adorable and couldn't help herself from laughing.

"Watch her." She warned Iris while standing up. "I better get back to this before it burns."

For breakfast, she made scrambled eggs with some left over turkey. She was hardly done pouring the coffee into the cups, when she heard the sound of an egg cracking on the floor. A few seconds later it was followed by a loud wail.

"Iris." Laurel yelled more of scolded so that Iris fixes the mess she created with the egg. Her sister was laughing obviously, finding the whole incident funny till she noticed the cold look from Laurel the she went on to comfort Elle. 

Elle had other plans, she completely rejected Iris and turned around while still crying. Her eyes searched the area for her mum.

"Oh, nop. She doesn't want me." 

Laurel carried their plates to the living room center table and witnessed as Elle constantly rejected Iris, still crying. So she went right ahead to pick up her baby and gently placed her head on her shoulder.

"It's okay. That egg was no good." She said slightly bouncing up and down. "So about we have some real delicious eggs. And milk, your favorite."

Calmly, Elle stopped crying and did not insist on having another egg to hold or play with. Her eyes stuck on the freshly prepared breakfast. She was hungry. Iris came closer and picked her plate then threw herself on the couch. Laurel did the same and one hand held Elle as she followed her to the couch. With her left leg, she pushed the center table closer to them.

"You forgot the coffee." Iris pointed out then stood up to go get it.

As Laurel pulled Elle on her laps, her phone buzzed.

From Jason:

We've set off. I should be there around midday. Would you and Elle like to have lunch with me?