28

As Laurel fastened her hands on the steering well, a call came in from Jason on her cell. Right now, she had a lot on her mind and there wasn't time for this awkward conversation. She didn't answer it. She was concentrating on the road trying to get to this cake testing for a cake that's not even hers.

Her phone rung again, Jason's named popped up.

"Listen Jason, I can't really talk right now. I am in the middle of panicking." She said out as soon as she received the call.

"Oh, really! What's wrong?" He asked.

"You really want to now?"

"Yes, I do."

"Well, if you must know Iris didn't pull through for me this weekend and I have an event I must attend so Jason I don't really have time for this chit chat because I have to get a sitter before it's too late."

"Oh, I can help with that. I'll watch Elle." He said through the phone. He sounded so free and relaxed.

"What!" Laurel couldn't believe what she heard. The shock of it almost made her stop the car. "I'm sorry what did you say?"

"I can watch Elle as you get to your event."

"Jason, I - I can't just leave you with her." She said as she made a turn with her car.

"Laurel...."

"I don't trust you."

"What do you think I'm going to do, kidnap our daughter. She is my daughter too."

"I don't - "

"I understand that you don't trust me but I would really want to spend some alone time with her you know. Last time was nice but I kind of felt like I was on pressure you being there. It will only be for a few hours, I won't do anything you are uncomfortable with." 

Laurel found herself rolling her eyes.

"You don't know how to be with her."

"Yes, but I'll learn. You'll tell me everything I need to know before you leave." 

"Okay Jason, you'll watch her. I'm driving right now so we shall finish this later." She doesn't know if she agreed because she wanted the conversation or she was actually starting to trust Jason again.

"Thank you! Thank you. You're amazing!"

-

"You're late!" Laurel snapped, letting Jason into her place. The two had arranged that Jason can indeed come and watch Elle that night as Laurel gets to her event. She was already dressed up to go but couldn't because Jason was running late.

"I know but it's only by fifteen minutes." He rushed through his words apologizing.

"Still, if I'm to rely on you, I have to trust that you will be on time." She was frustrated with him.

"I know and I am sorry. I meant to be here on time I just delayed at - you know what it's not even important. I'm here and I'm really sorry Laurel, it won't happen again."

Laurel paused for a second, wowed by his reaction. When he was too apologetic and too nice like this, it shocked her. 

"Well, I'm going to be late." She said in a lower tone. She turned around headed to her bedroom and came back carrying Elle. She handed him over to him to which he accepted comfortably. He was coming around to being around her, after all they were going to spend the whole evening together.