34

"Hey sexy mama!" Madison greeted Laurel early morning as she waltzed into work. She wore the same ecstatic smile on her face.

"Hey pretty!" Laurel answered leaning against the window. She had a donut in her hand. It was a lazy morning honestly, Malick was around too buried in his phone.

"What you tasting?" She asked, setting her pink bag down.

"Some delicious donuts. Cutesy of Malick."

"Malick, I love you." Madison squealed running to the box to pick one out.

"No, I'm just glad to be in an office surrounded by ladies." As usual Malick charmed. "Just remember to leave some. They're for everyone."

Kate and Brianna arrived soon and all around their large table shared the box of donuts as they dealt with the paperwork after an event. This particular day, Laurel felt a different energy. In a good way though. Honestly, she realized she hadn't felt like this in a while.

After being at it for an hour, Laurel received a phone call distracting her from her work for a while. She looked over at the caller ID and it was Jason.

"I'll be right back." She smiled, as she excused herself.

She answered the call.

"Hey there, Laurel." Jason's voice came through. It was warm and soft. It made Laurel feel good like for once there wasn't any unclarity between them. She was seeing this as a do over for the both of them. She became anxious to hear what he had to say.

"Hello Jason." She answered, a small smile landing on her face. It was also the first time she addressed him by his name when he called.

"So good news," He said cheerfully, "Today I finally get to move into my new place." 

"Erm, that's great?" Why is he telling me this? She wondered.

"Yeah, yeah it is. I was wondering if Elle is free today to join me as I set up the place." He asked from the other end.

That would be the first time Jason and Elle are out on their own. She did promise that.

"Actually Elle is at daycare right now." Laurel replied honestly.

"Oh," There was a hint of disappointment in his voice. "Can I pick her up then?"

"No, they won't give her to you." She spoke lightly, not purposefully to make him feel bad. "You're not a registered parent."

"Oh! Why is that?" Jason questioned, his voice raising at the end like as if he clearly did not know.

She smiled at the thought that he was even asking. Whether he was joking around or not. Either way she played along. "I don't know maybe because you disappeared for a year and more."

"Okay fair point. We'll talk about that later. Can you pick her up then and I find her with you."

"I can't help you with that. I'm busy right now."  It was just clocking mid day and she was at work. Usually she doesn't pick till four.

"Really or you are just making me have a hard time with this as you do always." He joked, ending with a light chuckle.

Laurel found herself fighting back a smile. "No Jason, some of us actually have actual jobs where we spend our days."

Jason laughed from the other end. Hearing him laugh, Laurel's smile widened because things were not so intense between them anymore. That was mostly her doing. He had always been this lively since he saw him again.