14

Laurel and Jason walked out of the hospital gently after there seven months of doctors appointment. Things were starting to normalize between them and almost like nothing had happened. Jason got the door for her like a gentleman to which Laurel flashed a small smile.

Once in the car, they were mute. Then suddenly this started to feel weird to Laurel almost like the first time they did this. She placed both her arms in front of her swollen tummy and just looked ahead. She wondered if Jason was feeling it too but it was hard to tell. He looked normal, just keeping his eyes on the road.

His phone, that was placed in between started to light up signalling a text. Jason glared at it with a specific look in his eye's then withdrew and went back to the road. Laurel ignored it.

It lit up again and again and again. Jason angrily grabbed his phone letting out a sigh of frustration. From then on he started multi-tasking driving and texting. Whatever it was must have been important for him to be acting that way.

Just as that feeling was starting to appear in Laurel's gut, Jason spoke, "I'm sorry Laurel. I don't think we are going to be able to have lunch today."

Why? She wondered.

"It's okay." Instead, she said.

"It's just work. I'll find a way to make up for it." He said sounding apologetic.

"You don't have to. I understand." She was relieved it was just work that was keeping him away but also praying it really was work and not just an excuse his giving her.

"Yeah, but I want to and lately I've kind of been MIA so yeah." He went back to his phone before Laurel could say anything.

"Okay," she mumbled softly feeling somewhat good about what he just told her.

Suddenly her phone starting ringing. Her eyebrows furrowed wondering who is calling her at this time. She doesn't have much of a social life to start receiving random calls. Looking at the number it was unfamiliar, the phone continued to ring in her hands.

"Hello." She breathed into the phone.

"Laurel dear, how nice it is to hear from you?" said the voice on the other end sounding lively. Laurel froze in spot knowing exactly who was speaking on the other end of the line.

"Mom!" She exclaimed in disbelief. Why are you calling me? Last I checked we weren't on speaking terms.

She thought it but did not say it.

"Is everything alright?" She asked instead, probably something could be wrong with her sisters or dad. That would be an understandable reason for her mum to contact her.

"Yes, everything is fine over here. How about you? How are you doing?" She asked again sounding so concerned but Laurel felt like she was being smothered. It was only a matter of time before she starts requesting for something.

In that moment Laurel's eyes dropped to her belly. Part of her wished she could tell her mother about the baby, the pregnancy everything but she couldn't. Whenever someone asked her about how she is doing lately she felt compelled to talk about the baby. How everything is going great during her pregnancy but she couldn't do that with her mum.

"I'm quite fine," Laurel replied rubbing her belly and preventing a small smile from creeping on her face. Jason saw watched her through the side of his eye, his eyes ran to her belly as well and smiled.

"Yes, Iris did mention your doing okay and you took very good care of her when she was there. Thank you for that."

"Well, she's my sister. You don't have to thank me for that. I'm glad she enjoyed her visit."