16

Laurel stepped out of the apartment and found Kevin standing outside pacing nervously. She was confused to find him here. He turned to look at her with wide eyes.

"What are you doing here" she asked. He looked guilty and nervous about something.

"I came with my dad." he replied, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "Oh God, you were inside. You found out...."

"You knew?" Her eyes darted at him but his silence was the only answer she needed. She suddenly felt stupid standing there with him yet he was part of this whole thing. Why should she even be upset if he knew, she wondered. He doesn't owe her anything.

She turned around and started walking towards the elevator.

"Wait!" He went after her. Laurel stopped but she didn't look back. "I can tell that you are upset and it's my fault. The least I can do is take you home. Please, you are not in the condition to get home by yourself. Let me help."

Laurel thought about it and he and a point. She came here as she was, no money and only with her phone. It was stupid but she figured when she gets here Jason would start being all sweet again and offer to drive her back.

"Okay," she nodded. He followed her to the elevator. They got outside and Laurel didn't realize the sun had already set. Kevin led the way to his car and she followed. He got the door for her just as Jason always done. It made her mind jump to him. She shut her eyes and rubbed it off. Her eyes dropped to her bump and suddenly she remembered something Kevin said.

"What did you mean by its your fault?" she asked him.

Kevin sighed, "I am the one who told our father about it. I just did not know you'd be there when he confronted Jason."

Laurel kept silent just thinking about everything.

"I did not know at first too. When I found out it thought it was hella crazy but I knew why he did it and I decided not to give him shit about it."

"For the money?"

"No, no that's not completely why. After Jill left him, Jason started self distracting slowly. It was hard for anyone to notice more so if you didn't know him well. The first month he threw himself into work. More than before. So dad noticed and when he tried to help him out Jason took it the wrong way and pushed him away. The next month he tried to get his money from our granddad. Dad blocked it because obviously Jason was not stable. The month after that he turned up with you, pregnant."

"I get it. I was all part of a big pawn." Laurel said coldly. It was obvious that this whole situation was hurting her and stressing her deeply. Kevin kept eyeing her from time to time though the rare view mirror but she ignored him.

"I make a turn here, right?"

"Yes."

Kevin continued driving in silence. Laurel did not comment what he said but that didn't matter. He wasn't going to push. He just wanted her to listen.

"Thank you." Laurel mumbled once Kevin parked the car. She stepped out guarding her bump and shut the door behind her.

To her surprise, Kevin did the same. She sent him a questioning look.

"I'm coming with you." He pursed his lips together. "Look, you don't look alright. I'll damned if I let anything happen to you. I don't want you to faint or something."

"Suit yourself." Laurel walked past him and he quickly followed.

They got to her door and she turned to him, "Happy. I'm safe."