9

26 weeks long....

"Oh, look who decided to show up?" Jason groaned once Laurel opened the door to his car. Today was the first doctor's appointment since he got back and to say the least he was anxious to get there.

"Did I seriously take that long?" She smiled at him. He sent her a side eye and didn't reply. He continued to watch her as she struggled to get seated. His car was a slightly high and she was pregnant. He also noticed that she looked different today. She was wearing her high up in a neat bun and a long peach tight dress that was hugging her baby bump perfectly. He thought she really looked beautiful.

"If you were so tired of waiting, you could have come upstairs." Laurel said, referring to her apartment. She looked at him and caught him staring right at her.

"Coming upstairs would have made you more comfortable and you'd take a longer time."

"That's not true."

"It is. Besides whenever I'm your apartment and I'm waiting for you, your roommate always makes me feel uncomfortable."

"What?" She chuckled. "How?"

"Well, we don't have much of a conversation so she is either just there staring at me and my body or she's with her boyfriend and they are making out right there."

"Aww, who broke your heart?" Laurel pouted with a light laugh. She expected Jason join and laugh with her but he remained silent. She noticed his eyes change and his face was just still. She knew she had struck a chord there.

Jason awkwardly cleared throat, "We should go."

He started the car and they were off to there six month appointment but the whole way all Laurel could think about was Jason's reaction earlier.

-

"Good to see you are back here together." The doctor greeted both Laurel and Jason as they walked through her office.

"Yeah, me too. I feel like I have missed a lot." Jason said.

"And how was your trip?" She asked.

"You know just business." He answered folding his arms around his chest.

Laurel took the time to get seated on the examination bed as Jason and the doctor were having their small talk probably catching up. She started swinging her legs as she waited.

"Alright, let's get to it then." The doctor approached the bed and Laurel laid back pulling up her dress to expose her belly. Being her sixth time here she was already used to the process and did not care if Jason looked or not because she had decided to wear a dress that day and that was that.

The doctor rubbed the jelly on her stomach with help of the transducer. All the eyes in the room were concentrated on the screen and soon enough thumping sounds were heard indicating the baby's heartbeat.

"Okay, everything looks to be in order. Looking good." The doctor said still pacing the transducer on Laurel's pregnant stomach. Laurel turned her head to look at Jason because this is his first time listening to his baby's heartbeat.

"Wow, that's it." Jason said with a wide smile. "That's the baby's heartbeat."

"Yeah." Laurel answered him with a happy laugh. Jason doesn't know how but his fingers ended up intertwined with Laurel's as they both looked at the screen.

"Would you like to know the sex of the baby?" The doctor asked them, catching both of them off guard. The looked at each other and then at the doctor.

"Erm, do you want to know?" Laurel asked Jason instead because she did not think she really had a say in this.

He paused for a second, "No, I-I don't. I would like this to be a surprise."