Chaprter 25

I couldn't bring myself to leave the chasm that night. Zeke consoled me for a little while before having to get back to Shuana. I said nothing as I watched the retreating heels of his shoes, to stunned and sad. To think, this spot, where my life would have come together, was also the precise spot it fell apart. That day I came back, this was where Tobias sat, this was where I was sure I'd lost him. It's hard to think that he was going to propose to me, after all we'd only been together a few months.

A few months. It's crazy to think that so much appeared in such a short period of time. Amity, Candor,Erudite, the Buearo. Everything. Tobias was there with me through all of it, by my side. He never babied me, even when I wish he had. Though, looking back, I'm glad he didn't, it made me a stronger person. It's ironic, the time I need him the most, the time I grieve the most, is when he isn't here to be beside me. I wish he was here. I wish he was.

***

It is Uriah who finds me in the morning, tears still fresh on the floor. I wake with my head rested gently in his lap as he gazed across the water. To alert him to my presence I poke him in the nose which causes him to look down at me, smirking. His hair is ruffled neatly as always and his teeth still flash when he smiles. He's whole. He got his other half back.

Speaking of other halves, Marlene is nowhere to be seen. I'm sure she knows he's here, he wouldn't disappear without her knowing. I doubt she minds to much, Uriah is practically my brother and she knows it.

" Hey kiddo" he smiles

" You can't call me that. I'm not much younger than you" I retort

" I'm still taller" he reminds me as I huff " how are you holding up?"

" Do you want the truth?" I ask. He nods in assent " Not well. I miss him Uriah. He... he was my world. I feel so lost."

" I'm sorry Tris" Uriah mutters in my ear. That's another thing Tobias didn't do. He never apologized unless it was something that was directly his fault.

" Did you know he was planning on proposing?" I gulp through tears.

" Oh Tris" Uriah whispers. We sit there together for a while, me crying into his chest and him conferring me in a friendly way.

"The people who attacked the compound" Uriah speaks up " they were from some obscure branch of the government. They sent everyone who was able to fight. A few people traced the equipment back to about thirty miles beyond the fence, arrested the people who initiated the attack."

"Good" my voice is hard and cruel, unlike me in every way. But, I suppose I'm not much like me at the moment either. I am hardened by my grief. Though, not enough to the point where I can hold back the tears that once again stream down my cheeks.

" We have to have a funeral" Uriah whispers once I've calmed down.

" I know." I say shortly. The gears in my mind are already turning. I know where we should have it. I...

" OH MY GOD" I exclaimed suddenly, causing Uriah to jump back.

" What" he asks panicked.

" Evelyn doesn't know" I exclaim with wide eyes. Uriah seems to catch on because soon were dashing to Amars office, since he's the temporary leader of Duantless. Though I dislike having to think about Evelyn and her wellbeing, as terrible as that sounds, I'm glad to have a distraction, something for my mind to hold onto, something to overpower the grief. Once at the door, we sprint through it, breathless, startling Amar

" Can you send someone to collect Evelyn" I demand more than ask. He seems to know why because he quickly calls for someone and sends them off.

" She'll be here later today." Amar sighs " she won't take this well"