Chapter 12

The trains wheels clang against the metal tracks as I ride to Erudite. Soon enough the stark white lights reflect off of the metal train. As I jump off, the wind sails through my ears, brushing my hair away from my cheeks, where it was plastered with tears and sweat.
On the ground in a crouch, I brush off my black pants, breathing a small mess of dirt.

Feet pounding, heart thumping, I make my way to Erudite where windows allow sparse glances at hard working Erudite men and women. The sliding glass doors spring open as I walk into the lobby, approaching the man behind the counter. I didn't even have to yell this time before they called him down. it was either because of the fresh tear tracks on my face or the fact that I'm Duantless, I'm not sure which. My brother comes down, clad in Erudite blue, and smoothers me in a hug, engulfing me in his arms.

"I'm glad you're here." He whispers as he drags me to his apartment. The door swings open reveling a simple home, blue carpet, blue couch, blue everything. He sits me down on the couch as he settles into the arm chair across from me, tossing a huge book, titled; history, a phenomenon, on the floor. He sits adjacent from me, smiling an just staring at me. I snap my fingers in his face, waking him from his reprieve.

"I have something to show you but I'm sure you came here for a reason. So tell me what's on your mind." He says, smiling still

"Four, he... Caleb will he ever remember me?" I ask

"Well I'm not certain but he might" he says " I've only ever heard of one other case of this and the most progress is made by the most important or influential person in their life." Caleb states
"He...Caleb he said he said he wouldn't be in a relationship with me." I say, choking on a sob.

"Well statistically speaking he wouldn't have. He is in a state of mind that makes him forget everything he knows about you, and about everyone else". Caleb states

"Gee, thanks Caleb you always know how to make me feel better." I say sarcastically" I...I don't know what to do"

" I wouldn't expect you to, really" he states factually " you haven't exactly had much relationship experience. But I think the best thing to do would be to keep taking him places, trying to jog his memory."

"I know, I know" I groan " is there... is there any way to speed it up?"

" I've had a few people studying the serum, trying to make a counter serum. But so far, we haven't had much luck." He says with a sad smile " what it does is targets the cerebellum, and sends a signal through the nerves that sort if freezes those memories. So really they just have to 'thaw' on their own. But, yes, the little trips will help speed that up."

" I guess I'll just have to patient. Now, what did you want to show me?"

He runs out of the room and comes back in grinning. A blindfold is put around my eyes and Caleb shuffles around some things, movement accompanied by his hides voice. The blindfold is removed and there stand the two people I never thought I'd see again.