Chapter 13

"M-mom, dad?" I stuttered " What? Oh my god! Mom Dad!"
We crush each other in a warm tangle of limbs, my tears wet my mothers shoulder as I lingered in her embrace. Eventually though we were forced to pull away as the clock chimed, signaling two O'clock. We migrated to the cushioned blue couch that occupied the far side of the apartment.

"Beatrice, Caleb told me what you did, what he did" my dad says and though I dislike my name I do not call him out.

"Although you left Abnegation because you believed you weren't selfless enough, that was the most selfless thing anyone's ever done" my mom continues. " despite all the wrongs you brother inflicted upon you, you sacrificed your self for him"

" That's not it though" I argued " I took away others happiness, somthing I had no right to do. it wasn't selfless it was all of my aptitudes failing me. If I had been smart I would have come up with an alternate solution. If I had been selfless I wouldn't have left Four. If I had been brave none if this would've happened in the first place."

We sit and catch up for a while before my fathers face turns serious.

"Beatrice" he starts causing me to cringe " our old house was given to the factionless" when things calmed down from the war everyone wanted to give the factionless a new start. Some empty abnegation houses were given to them my parents house among them.

"We were wondering if you wouldn't mind allowing us to stay with you for a while, in Duantless" my mom says " If it won't bother you." I don't even have to think before I find myself nodding.

" That would be great." I say. Since they have no belongings they come with me now. At the tracks, I attempt to give them instructions to get on the train but they insist that they have it.

Once on the train, we smile and talk for a while. We disscus what life in Dauntless is like now compared to when mom lived there. They still cling to their Abnegation tendencies and ask no questions. Eventually we reach the compound and I tell them when to jump. They do and my mother, though years had passed, was still nimble enough to land on her feet. Without my instruction she dashes to the net and flys in without hesitation, which causes my father to scream and me to laugh. He and I walk to the edge of the building and he seems hesitant to jump so I give him a small shove. Shrieking, he falls down into the net. My mothers laughter is loud enough for me to hear as she pulls my father off the net. Once he's clear I plummet down the dark hole as well. Feet scrambling on the net, fighting for traction, I make my way to the edge where I nimbly spring over the edge.

We walk around the compound, talking and comparing similarities. We have just turned a corner when Uriah and Zeke come barreling through, almost knocking my dad over. My and my mom struggle to contain our laughter but fail. Uriah and Zeke stumble to a stop after they pass us.

"Hey Trissy" Uriah shouts, engulfing me in a hug. I shove him off and glare at him

"Perdad I swear the next time you call me Trissy I will pull a Peter and butter knife your eye." I growl. He doesnt look afraid though, he simply laughs and is about to say Something before my mother butts in.

"Perdad? Does your mothers name happen to be Hanna?" She asks. Uriah nods while Zeke just stands there smirking

"OH! Uri, Zeke, these are my parents, Natalie and Andrew" I say quickly

" Hello." Uriah says " Um... Not to be rude but why'd you care what out mothers name was?" He asks

"I knew her when I was in Dauntless." My mother states. Uriah and Zeke nod in understanding and talk for a while before Lynn's shout echoes off the stone walls. They share a worried glance and start running.

"Nice meeting you" Zeke shouts behind them. My mother and I laughed while my dad stood there limply. We continued down the stone corridors, idle conversation cutting through the silence. As we round another corner I bump into a muscular chest. My head snaps up only to met with striking blue eyes. The smile falls off my face as I recognize Tobias's handsome features. My eyes scan the floor as the four of us stand in an awkward silence, no one knowing what to say.

" Hello Four" my mother says " Its good to see you"

"Um... do I know you" He asks. My mother opens her mouth to respond but I stop her before she has a chance.

" This is my mom, you two met on visiting day" I explain he nods and smiles at my mother

" So Four... How are you?" She asks. Tobias shifts uncomfortably, not knowing what to say.

" Mom...uh...Four..." I stutter " Hey who wants some Dauntless cake? You do? good lets go." I say pulling my parents along, partly to spare Tobias the discomfort and partly because I don't want to talk to him. The walk to the dining hall is quiet and awkward.

When were there my parents find a table while I grab three slices of cake. I put them down in front of them, and slide into a seat across from them.

"That was awfully rude Beatrice" My dad says

" Uhh... I know, I just." I sighed " I just really didn't feel like talking to him"

"Why ever so, he seems nice" My mother says and leans across the table to whisper in my ear " He's still handsome too"

"MOM!" I exclaim as she laughs " We were together before I died but um..." I stop choking on my words.

" He took memory serum, he doesn't remember me." I continue. My mother places her hand over mine and gives it a reaasuring squeeze. I sigh and eat my cake in silence. Once were all done I lead my parents to my apartment.