5. I forgot they existed

~~~~

As hurdles of students attempt to enter the small gym doors, Sofie begins explaining to me her '"theories" about Claire and Alin's relationship.

Sofie knows everything about everyone. She can find anything about anyone in matter of seconds, and don't ask me how because in all honestly, I don't know either. It's not surprising as she's the easiest person to get along with just by her humor and her overall personality. Anyone would trust her.

"I think Alin used Claire because his friends have this fantasy about her," Sofie whispers in my ear. "He probably wanted to make them jealous so, he decided to date Claire. He fucked her, caught feelings, and he eventually began to love her blah blah blah—that didn't end too well because they both drifted-"

"Where do we sit?" Lisa interrupts Sofie's rambling. Sofie gives me a look telling me "We'll talk later" before we look for a spot on the gym bleachers. Lisa and Claire leads us towards the free seats at the back and on our way there, mutual friends greet us back from the summer. 

That's another thing about myself—I'm not "popular". I like to consider myself friendly. I'm too nice to reject a conversation or ignore somebody. I'll rather have people come up me than the other way around. I find it difficult to socialize, instead I plaster a smile on my face in hopes they'll think I'm approachable.

We take our seats and place our bags in between our legs, making more room for others to pass by. When you look around, the majority of students are on their phones waiting for the assembly to begin, and the rest are conversing or doing god knows what—high school scares me sometimes. Eventually, our principal and vice principal take their spots in the center of the gym.

"Good morning seniors! If you didn't know already, I'm Mrs. Pearce, your Principal. Welcome back to a new school year everybody!"

~

The assembly consisted teachers talking, nonstop, for more than an hour. I was busy daydreaming and passing whispers to Sofie,Claire, and Lisa which means I didn't get much from it.

"And that's the wrap up of this year. If you have any questions or concerns, don't be afraid to come forward or you can ask any of our school staff in your spare time. Have a good first day of school everybody."

With that, everyone rises from their seats and people rush out of the gym to get to their classes before the bell. and After getting unknowingly pokes on the ribs from clumsy freshmen and being shoved through the doors, we finally got out alive—people have places to be. I start scanning the chaotic halls, seeing which way we're going. It's very difficult to do so when I'm 5'4 and tall crowds surround us.

"What class?" I ask once the halls clear out. "French," they say in unison. "Okay, where is it again?" I ask.

"I think it's this way," Sofie guides us down the halls."I heard Madame Brun is pregnant."

"Really?" My eyes widen. Claire and Lisa squeal behind us, jumping up and down in excitement from the news.

"Don't get too excited yet. I'm not 100% sure," Sofie furrows her brows uncertainly.

"I think she is," Lisa shrieks. "I saw her in the gym."

"Yeah, but I couldn't tell because of her black dress. If she is, then black definitely does its job in illusions. In this case, making her belly not so obvious." Claire adds.

"Am I the only one who didn't see her?" I look back at the two and they nod their heads. I guess I'm missing out.

We manage to arrive at our French class before the second bell. I enter first looking through the class for any free seats and, at the same time, I meet eyes with a few people I already know. I make my way to the back corner—my favorite spot. I sit next to Sofie as Lisa and Claire sit at the desks in front of us. .

I'm in a program where all of my French courses are with the same people. I've been with the same classmates since freshman year, for four years. It doesn't mean each one of us are close. We want to call our class a "family" but it's obvious we're far from the title.

The class starts to slowly fill up at the last minute of the bell. Me and Sofie are talking about what we did in the summer while Claire and Lisa have a conversation of their own.

"Today is my sister's first day of school—" Claire interrupts Sofie by choking on her water.

Lisa rubs her back while the three of us laugh at her. Although Claire tries to hold back her laughter, she chokes from it even more.

"Are you okay?" I ask once she settles down.

"Yes—yeah I am," she takes a deep breath before laughing at her self.

"Ellie!" I snap my head to the sound of my name.

"Hi Eva," I wave as she takes a seat in the row next to ours.

"How are you?" Eva asks.

"I'm good and you?" I smile.

"Tired," she frowns, swinging her bag over her chair. "I don't want to be here."

"Same," I focus back on Sofie.

"You are not skipping," I hear from the door, noticing Jae get drag into the class by Conrad. "It's only the first day."

"So?" Jae scoffs and Conrad doesn't seem too impress.

"So you have to make a good impression," Roman rolls his eyes.

"I thought you dropped out," Conrad furrows his brows.

"Yeah I wanted to but..." Roman briefly looks at Eva before diverting his gaze back to Jae and Conrad. "Whatever," he takes a seat in one of Eva's rows, along with Conrad and Jae.

"I forgot they existed," Lisa whispers.

"They're hot that's for sure," Claire admiringly looks at the three boys.

"Omg," I groan, sinking in my seat.

"What? Do you think I'm wrong?" Claire defensively says. "Because if you say yes, then you're blind."

"They are hot," Lisa agrees. "Mostly Jae."

"I know right," Claire nods, facing towards the front of the class when our teacher walks in.

"It's only the first day," Sofie massages her temples. "Shit is about to go down."

"Bonjour!"

~~~~