36. bonfire

~~~~

"Okay everyone! Be careful!" Gladis shouts into the dark before entering the forest.

It's the last night of our trip. We're being brought together for a bonfire to wrap it all up which is such a bittersweet moment.

The only way to get to that bon fire is by passing through the trails of the forest. It's around 8 at night. the sun has set, and we're risking it all by walking through total darkness.

I cling on tight to Sofie's arm. The dark occupies my vision along with silhouettes of trees and the trail ahead of us. Nonetheless, we complain of our lack of sight and no sense of direction without any light to guide us through the forest. Until, in the distance, a faint light from the fire comes into view. We approach it excitingly at the thought we're nearing our destination without harm.

Something moves from within the trees and pounces on us. We scream our lungs out, jumping away from the scare. "What the hell!" My cabin yells at the boys as they run back to the fire laughing. We take our seats around the fire, still a pulsing them for how childish they are.

"You're a real douche," I firstly criticize Jae.

"Cmon, it was funny." He laughs at me for it, maybe with me hiding my enjoyment, but I don't show him it.

"Sure, you really got us," I roll my eyes then turn to sit with Sofie.

"Nope," Eva shakes her head and forces me next to Jae.

"Really?" I whisper and she just smirks without commenting anything further—classic Eva.

Benches are placed in a semi circle around the bonfire that expands almost as tall as a person. The trees form a clearing that isolate the fire and our company. I look up at the sky and stars are illuminating brighter than the city's. It makes me so happy to clearly see them, like it's a once in a lifetime experience.

Me and Jae are seated right at the end of the benches so the rest of our friends sit on my side.

"I'm gonna miss this place," Eva pouts.

"I know. I can't believe it's the end of it already." I frown, staring at the fire. "I don't want to go home."

I really don't.

The trouble and stress that awaits me is unthinkable. The possibilities are endless yet it's the outcome that worries me the most like my parents finding the hickies—I don't want to think about it.

Another reason is, do I really want whatever me and Jae have going on to end? It's been an experience, being this close to him and I'm starting to like it.

"Me too," Eva snaps me out of the fire's trance, pulling me into the present.

I feel the heat radiating from the fire but also from the person next to me. "What?" I face Jae and he's already looking at me.

"Hmm," he hums.

"Are you okay?" He's acting weird again.

"Yeah, just thinking."

"Okay..."

"Are you alright?" Roman asks Conrad. He seems to be shivering and wrapping his own arms around his body for warmth.

"Yeah," he sniffs through his red nose and I frown.

"Here," I take off my gloves and pass it down to him, "give this to him." In the process, Eva gives her scarf and Roman hands over his beanie.

"Don't worry," Conrad gives them back to Eva. "I'm fine." He tries to pull off his sniffle by wiping his nose.

"No, take it." I can tell he's embarrassed and as well worried about our own being but I reassure him. "We'll be fine."