6. hey mae

~~~~

Eva Paxton and Taron Santoore

Two of the most popular people in school. They're not what you think—the stereotypical popular girl. They're pretty much the opposite of it: friendly and nice. Some are afraid of approaching them—sometimes myself—but when you get to know them, they're fun to be around.

In my freshman year, I was put to work with Eva and Taron for a French project. Since then we've been friends. The kind where we know each other but don't have the same cliques. I don't spend much time with them but when we have the chance, it's enjoyable.

"Bonjour!" Madame Brun stands at the front of the class. As predicted, her belly catches everyone's attention and she has the pregnancy glow. Everybody gasps when the realization hits them and we all congratulate Madame on her first baby.

"If you haven't heard yet, I am pregnant!" Madame Brun clarifies making the room react in awe. "The dress made it difficult to notice but nothing fits me nowadays."

"Is it a boy or girl?" Someone asks while the rest gush over the idea of Madame Brun being a mom.

She acts like a mother towards her students. I find the characteristic very comforting about her. She's the only teacher in this school who understands us. She's the only staff member that every student seeks advice to or just needs someone to talk with. She's always there for her students and we all appreciate her for that.

"Me and Dan decided to wait until they're is born," Madame rubs her growing belly, smiling at it admiringly. "Now let's get into it shall we?"

~

We went over the basic 'first day of school' protocols, going through what our course entails and what are our expectations.

"I can't believe you're seniors. You have many responsibilities to think about this year. It's very important to take it seriously," Madame points a finger at us.

"Now, like every year leading up to now, I am going to rearrange your seats," Madame walks to her desk and picks up a piece of paper. I'm guessing it's the attendance sheet but not for it's actually purpose. I look at Sofie as she stares attentively at the front. I also notice how nobody isn't fazed about the idea of designated seats—I'm not either. The fact I know who exactly I'll be sitting with, just makes me fidget in my seat.

"Okay! Let's begin."

We collect our things before moving to the back of the class. We stand patiently in the corner, waiting for our names to be called out with everyone else.

As Madame Brun slowly goes down the list, I feel someone bump into my arm. It causes me to stumble back a bit. I glare to whom may have been that clumsy and I see Taron quickly coming up to me.

"Omg Ellie I'm so sorry," She says quickly and turns around to hit Conrad's shoulder. "Why would you push him to her?"

"No it's fine," I rub my arm trying to ease the sudden sourness and giving a genuine smile. I don't want to start something between them. I look at Jae, who is glaring at Conrad, until he faces me. I realize why the impact was harder than normal.

"My bad," Jae apologizes then abruptly turns around again.

"Jae Foster and Claire Franklin."

Claire whips her head towards me, Sofie, and Lisa as we try to contain our laughter. From the scowl she sends us, it's obvious she's not too please with our taunts and sitting beside Jae.  Nevertheless, she walks to her seat with Jae stubbornly following behind her.

After a few minutes, Madame Brun has yet to near my name. Me and Lisa are one of the few waiting to be called upon.

"Why does she take so long every year?" I ask Lisa to waste time.

"I don't know," Lisa looks at me unsurely. "I thought she would've memorized our names already."

"Ellie Miller and Conrad Moore." I mentally roll my eyes, making my way down the rows of desks. I sit on my selected seat, beside Conrad, as he beams at me with a bright smile. The same one he gives me every year we sit together.

"Hey Mae!"

~~~~