23: The Newest Member

(Y/N POV)~

Peter and Happy walked out of the bathroom. I didn't know how to react considering Peter was working with Tony Stark. Happy seemed harmless. He didn't look like he was going to tell me off or tell me that I was adopted in the wrong family. 

"Where are we going?" I asked as Peter held my hand in his, our fingers interlacing.

"It's a surprise." Peter smiled, "And you're coming with me."

It was a couple hours later when we finally approached the Avengers' new headquarters. "Take a look, you two." Happy said. "It's pretty impressive, huh?"

I looked out the window with Peter, my chest against him. His arm was wrapped around me. There were plenty of windows, for sure and we saw a beautiful garden out front. Our jaws dropped slightly as we looked at the view. 

"They just finished remodeling the whole thing." We saw a jet nearby getting ready for lift off and we drove to park by the entrance.

We walked inside the elevator and once we got out, I hurried to a huge window pane. "Oh my god, Pete, check this out!" I said, pointing to the jet blasting off in the distance. We all were smiling at the new and improved location.

"You don't see that every day." Happy said.

"You're telling me. You guys get to see this everyday!"

"Oh, there they are!" I heard a familiar voice. My heart started squelching in fear, and I clutched onto Peter's hand. I stepped closer to him and he smiled at me, reassuring that things would be okay. I would have to get used to this. "How was the ride up?" It was the man himself, Mr. Tony Stark. 

"Good." Happy said.

"Anyways, boundaries are good, I need a minute to talk to the kid!" Mr. Stark said. Peter let go of my hand and walked away with Tony. Happy and I smiled at each other, as we tried to not get in between their business. They were talking about how Peter really screwed up, but he managed to pull things through. "I was wrong about you, kid..."

He led Peter to a room that had everything lit up. "There's 50 reporters behind that door." Tony pointed to the room behind a huge wall that revealed his new iron spider suit. I looked at it in awe from behind. "Real ones, not bloggers. When you're ready...why don't you try that on, and I'll introduce the world to the newest official member of the Avengers: Spiderman."

Peter had a huge choice to make, and he looked back and forth between me and the suit. "I...heh..." he stuttered, shocked to say anything. 

"Yeah, give that a look." Tony said, and Peter leaned over to whisper something to him. Mr. Stark was listening to what Peter said and I tilted my head while watching them. I walked over to Peter after Mr. Stark nodded in agreement, then changed subjects. "So! After the press conference,  Happy will show you to your room, your headquarters....Where's he between? Next to Vision? You'll fit right in."

Peter stood there for a while, and we waited for his answer. "Thank you, Mr. Stark." he finally said, turning to him. "But, I'm good."

I had my jaw dropped, and Tony looked at him confused, "You're good, h-how are you good?"

"Peter?" I asked, shocked that he's giving up this opportunity.

"Well, I mean, I'd rather just stay on the ground for a little while." Peter admitted. "Friendly neighborhood Spiderman. Someone's got to look out for her, right?"

Tony looked at me, and I looked away. "You're turning me down?" Mr. Stark asked. "You've got to think about this. Look at that, and look back at me." Peter quickly looked back and forth between the suit and him. "Last chance, yes or no?"

"No, sir."

"Alright, well, that sprung over me unexpectedly. Now for Ms. Toomes," Mr. Stark examined me, and I wasn't sure really what to do. This man is a billionaire. I'm standing in front of a billionaire. The man who's managed to live through an arc reactor. "Ms. Toomes," he started to say and I fidgeted. "Let me just say, I offer you my most sincere apology after we apprehended your father." I felt Peter's eyes on me. "I am not what your father thinks, and I know you were the victim of this whole fiasco. I hope that we can get along, and on top of that, your boyfriend here has asked me to do a favor for you." 

"Mr. Stark..." Peter said as if it were his dad. "Don't embarrass me..."

"A favor?" I asked, wondering what plan Peter had in mind initially. Is this what he means?

"If you'd like, you can come live here." Mr. Stark announced. If I wasn't wearing a belt today, it would've been the most perfect timing ever if my pants fell right then. "I know you're under the adoption papers for the Toomes' family, but if you're up for it, you can be taken underneath my care." 

"Uh...sir." I said nervously, not knowing what else to say. "Is this really okay?" 

"Sure," he said. "That is, of course, up to you." 

"I uh...I don't really know what to say or think, but if this keeps me from moving to Oregon." I started smiling at the both of them. "I will be living here?" 

"Of course."

I thought about it some more as we stood there silently. If I stay here under Mr. Stark's name, would it really be okay? Plus, this would help me loads. I wouldn't have to do anything, he's literally giving me a place to stay. I thought about mom and Liz and what they would think. Mom is more forgiving, and she would understand how I feel. Liz would probably be upset, but at this point in life, I can't give up on someone I really care about. 

I get to see Peter at school more often than not anymore. I won't be moving to Oregon, and I won't have to deal with being the new kid at a new school again. 

I thought about my dad, and how he has been the one there for me until now. He's a criminal. This was a tough choice to make, having to leave my family, and you know, maybe Mr. Stark isn't so bad. Peter did this for me. 

"In all honesty, we'd have to talk to my family about this, Mr. Stark." I said. "My answer is yes, I would love to move here."

"Perfect." He said, "Case closed and done." He smiled at Peter, and clapped a hand on his back. He nudged him over to me and I held him as he stumbled. "Happy here, will take you both back home."