2: I promise

Edmund stared up at Peter, taking a deep breath before squeezing his eyes shut, tilting his head away from Peter's hand.

"Ed." Peter sighed sadly, his hand hovering in mid air for the time being. "We are going to find a cure."

"But there might not even be one." Edmund choked, eyes opening as he looked back up at Peter. "I'm going to die, again."

"No." Peter snapped, anger taking over his voice, before he swallowed hard and took a deep breath. "You're not going to die Edmund, I won't let you."

Edmund shook his head. "You might not have a choice." He whispered.

"Look." Peter sighed, tears in his eyes which he forced back for Edmund's sake. "The healers are searching for a cure as we speak, in the meantime you just have to take it easy."

"And by take it easy Peter means not leaving the bed." Susan said gently but firmly, giving Edmund a small nod.

When Edmund didn't respond, Aslan walked over. "Have faith Edmund." He said softly. "If there is a cure, they will find it."

Edmund stared at him for a moment. "And if there isn't?" He whispered.

Aslan gave him a sad look before glancing at Peter. He looked back to Edmund after a moment, and Edmund could've sworn there was tears in his eyes. "And if there isn't," He said slowly. "Then you should spend as much time with your siblings as you can."

Edmund swallowed hard as Peter's heart shattered, no longer caring if tears were rolling down his cheeks, which they now were. Aslan had literally just told his brother to make the most of the time he had left. Of course he hadn't meant it in a horrible way, but it killed Peter all the same.

Edmund stared at Aslan for a moment or two before he sniffed, rolled onto his side with his back to everyone, and curled into a ball, burying his face against the pillows.

Peter sighed sadly and placed his hand on Edmund's shoulder. "Ed?" He mumbled, voice choked.

But Edmund didn't answer.

"Leave him Peter." Susan sighed. "Let him at least try and comprehend what's going on."

Peter swallowed hard and glanced at Edmund, before slowly nodding his head and removing his hand, turning more to face Aslan and his sisters. "What - What do we do now?" He choked.

Susan sighed, placing her hand on Lucy's shoulder. "Now, we wait."

☆☆☆

"Any news?" Peter asked as Susan entered the room later that evening.

He was just trying to get Edmund to eat something, but he wasn't exactly succeeding.

Susan sighed and shook her head. "They haven't found a cure yet, no." She mumbled, sitting down at the edge of the bed, watching Peter's face fall but trying to ignore it. "Ed you have to eat something." She sighed.

Edmund blinked at her from where he was sat up against the pillows, looking really rather sick if she was honest. "Not hungry." He mumbled.

"Don't be silly." Susan muttered. "Of course you're hungry." She glanced down at the bowl of soup in Peter's hand, before slowly shaking her head at her older brother, giving him a nod which clearly meant she'd deal with it. "What about some cake?" She suggested.

Edmund stared at her, clearly hesitating.

"I made chocolate?" Susan said with a gentle smile.

Edmund glanced at Peter, who gave him a small smile and nodded his head a little, before Edmund sighed. "Okay." He mumbled.

Susan breathed a sigh of relief, but tried her hardest to hide it as she stood from the bed. "I'll go and get you some then." She murmered. "I won't be long." And with that, she slowly left the room.

"You know," Peter said with a small smirk. "You can't live off cake."

"Yes I can." Edmund muttered, smirking back. "If I'm gonna die I'll live off cake if I want to."

Peter's smirk disappeared the second the words were out of Edmund's mouth, and Edmund immediately regretted them. "Sorry." He sighed. "Not really the time for jokes?"

Peter swallowed hard. "There will never be a time to joke about this Ed." He choked. "How can you even do that?"

Edmund sighed and shrugged, wincing slightly when he aggravated the lashes on his back. "It's better than spending my last days crying." He whispered, looking down at his lap.

Peter sighed sadly, placing the bowl of soup on the bedside table before wetting another cloth and pressing it to Edmund's forehead, unsure of exactly what to say.

Edmund winced when the cold water hit his burning forehead, but relaxed a little after a while, sighing quietly.

He glanced up when Peter seemed to be staring at his arms, and couldn't help but raise an eyebrow.

"Just checking." Peter murmered, making sure no blood had seeped through Edmund's shirt, which would've meant his wounds had reopened. "You're good."

Edmund gave him a small nod. "That's good." He whispered, looking up when the door opened and Susan walked in, carrying a plate with a slice of chocolate cake on it.

"Here." She said gently, handing it to him. "Please eat it all."

Edmund nodded at her as he took the plate, and it took a while, but he managed to eat it all, although he couldn't say he didn't feel slightly sick.

"Ed?" Peter asked as Susan took the empty plate from him. "Can you lay on your stomach? I wanna check your back."

Edmund swallowed hard. "It hurts when I do." He sighed. "She whipped me on my chest and my stomach too."

Peter took a deep breath. "Lay on your side then." He choked, tears stinging his eyes.

Edmund nodded hesitantly and slowly shuffled down the bed, laying on his side with his back to his older siblings, wincing and hissing in pain when Peter lifted his shirt.

"Can - Can you get me a clean cloth?" Peter asked Susan, placing his other hand on his brothers shoulder.

"Sure." Susan practically whispered as she stood and headed towards the bathroom.

Edmund sighed a little and clutched the blanket tightly to his chest, tears stinging his eyes.

Peter saw this, and tearing his eyes from the bleeding lashes on his brothers back he placed a gentle kiss on the back of his head, running his hand softly through the damp hair. "You're gonna be fine." He whispered in his ear. "I promise."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡