10: Listen to your heart

Edmund slowly sat up as Susan walked into the room, a small frown on his face. "Where's Peter?" He asked, voice quiet and choked.

Susan sighed a little. "Aslan wanted to talk to him." She mumbled. "And then he said he's got some paperwork to do."

Edmund blinked at her before glancing at Lucy, who nodded her head slightly. "When will he be back?" He asked, turning back to Susan as his sister sat on the edge of the bed beside him.

"Not until late." Susan sighed. "He's doing paperwork in the library so as not to disturb you, because you need to sleep, which you should be doing right now." She added. "How come you woke up?"

Edmund shrugged. "I just did." He mumbled. "I don't think I dreamt or anything."

Susan nodded and sighed sadly. "Well, you should get back to sleep." She said. "And you Lucy, it's getting late."

"Will you stay?" Edmund asked his older sister, something that looked like hope in his eyes.

Susan smiled gently. "Course." She murmered.

Lucy sighed a little before hugging her siblings goodnight and hesitantly leaving the room, trying to force back the tears that were threatening to fall.

Susan watched her go, a look of sympathy on her face which caused Edmund to frown. "Is Lucy alright?" He asked slowly.

Susan turned her head to look at him and nodded. "I think she's just tired is all." She breathed, feeling bad for lying but knowing she couldn't let on to Edmund what had happened. "Now come on, sleep."

Edmund nodded a little at his sister before lying down and bringing the blanket up to his chin. "You won't go anywhere?" He whispered as Susan wet a flannel and placed it to his forhead.

She gave him a gentle smile and shook her head. "Of course." She murmered. "I'm not going anywhere, just go to sleep, and I'll be here to wake you up if you dream."

"When I dream." Edmund corrected, voice choked.

Susan sighed, and although she probably believed that Edmund would definitely would dream, she still shook her head. "If you dream Edmund... if."

☆☆☆

"Lucy?"

Lucy turned slowly around, stopping in the corridor when she heard Aslan's voice, and forcing a small smile for him.

"Somethings bothering you?" Aslan asked, walking over to stand beside her.

"P - Peter went to get the flower." Lucy choked in reply, one tear rolling down her cheek.

Aslan sighed sadly. "I guessed." He said quietly. "But there's still a chance we can get him his memories back when he returns."

"How?" Lucy choked, taking a deep breath.

Aslan hesitated. "I don't know." He replied.

Lucy stared at him for a moment before flinging her arms around his neck and burying her face against his mane, sobbing quietly.

"Everythings gonna be alright Lucy." Aslan said gently. "You'll always have Peter, no matter what happens."

"You promise?" Lucy choked, her voice quiet and muffled against Aslan's mane.

"I promise." Aslan said gently, and that allowed Lucy to relax, because when Aslan makes a promise, he always, always keeps it... no matter what.

☆☆☆

Peter sighed a little as he and Philip wondered slowly through the dark woods, and it was clear the horse was feeling rather upset for Peter. "You haven't cleared this with Edmund have you?" He said quietly.

Peter swallowed hard. "We discussed it." He mumbled. "But it ended in an argument and me absolutely terrifying him."

"Surely you couldn't of scared him that badly?" Philip said, sounding shocked.

Peter shook his head. "He looked at me like I was Jadis herself." He choked, tears stinging his eyes.

"Let me guess," Philip sighed a moment later. "After that you decided you shouldn't bring it up again and just sneak out without him knowing?"

"Exactly that." Peter mumbled. "But I feel so bad about it."

"You're saving his life." Philip said gently.

"And then breaking his heart." Peter choked, kicking a stone under his foot. "When I get back I won't even remember who he is."

Philip was silent for a moment. "You still would've saved his life." He said. "And this just proves how much you actually love him, that you're willing to forget everything just to save his life."

"I still feel bad for him... for all of them." Peter whispered, shaking his head slightly. "But I love Ed too much to let this happen to him..." He went to say something else but suddenly stopped walking, shutting his mouth.

"Sir?" Philip questioned, stopping a step in front of him.

Peter swallowed hard. "Does all this mean I've just chosen between my Brother and my Sisters?" He said quietly, voice choked.

Philip frowned. "What do you mean?" He asked, sounding confused.

"Well," Peter said slowly, taking a deep breath. "Choosing to do this means I save Edmund's life but cause the girls all the pain imaginable, by forgetting them. But If I had stayed behind, Edmund would've died, but I'd still remember the girls." He paused, swallowing hard. "I just chose Edmund over the girls... how must that make them feel?"

"I'm sure that is not how any of them are viewing this Peter." He said, hesitating just slightly when he called him that instead of sir or your majesty. "Didn't you make a promise to protect them no matter what?"

Peter sighed as he continued walking. "I guess." He whispered, before swallowing hard. "I'll miss them. I know I won't actually remember them, but still- oh Aslan, saying I won't remember my own family breaks me, makes me wonder why I'm actually doing this, I mean, it would break their heart. But then I remind myself that I need to save Edmund, and I just don't know what to do."

Philip said nothing for a short while before turning his head to face Peter. "Well," He said slowly and quietly. "What is your heart telling you?"

Peter swallowed hard. "Save Edmund." He whispered without a second of hesitation.

Philip gave him a small smile and a nod. "Well then," He breathed. "That's what you should do."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡