15: Fading memories

- That evening -

"Peter?"

Peter glanced beside him and frowned slightly at Philip, taking a deep breath as he did.

"How much do you remember?" Philip asked hesitantly. "What are we doing?"

Peter swallowed hard, squeezing his eyes shut for a moment before opening them again. "Taking the flower to Edmund." He practically whispered, his head pounding.

"Why?" Philip asked hesitantly.

Peter swallowed hard, running a hand through his hair. "I - I dont know." He mumbled. "I can't remember."

Philip took a deep breath. "Your brother is ill Peter, remember?" He said. "The flower will heal him."

Peter sighed. "No," he mumbled. "I really don't remember, I'm sorry."

"There's no need to apologise." Philip said quickly. "As long as you still remember that you need to get it back to Edmund."

Peter nodded slowly, but didn't say anything.

"Who are you?" Philip asked after a while, thinking he needed to check every so often what Peter remembered.

Peter swallowed hard. "Peter." He mumbled. "King of-" He stopped dead. "Where are we?"

"Narnia." Philip pushed.

Peter frowned a little but nodded his head. "Right yeah, King of Narnia." He muttered.

"You're the High King." Philip added, sounding rather worried.

"High King?" Peter questioned. "What does that mean?"

"It means you're above the rest of them." Philip said, unsure of how else to put it.

"Them?" Peter questioned, his frown deepening.

"Yes them, your siblings. Susan, Edmund and Lucy." Philip said.

"Yeah, my siblings." Peter murmered, almost to himself. "Are they rulers too then?"

"Yes Peter." Philip said.

"And - And who are you exactly?" Peter asked.

Philip took a deep breath. "Philip." He said slowly. "I'm good friends with your brother."

"Edmund?" Peter asked, tears in his eyes as he spoke.

"Yes Peter, Edmund." Philip said gently.

Peter swallowed hard and glanced at the floor. "You're helping me get the flower back?" He asked quickly.

"I am." Philip said with a nod. "Because you have to get it back... why do you have to get it back?"

"Because Edmund is ill?" Peter questioned, trying to remember what Philip had said a moment ago.

"Exactly." Philip said, before taking a deep breath. "Peter, listen to me and answer truthfully. Do you remember Mr.Tumnus?"