28: That Night

Previously:
I love you.

"Where's his name?" Grace asked. "Where's his poetry?" Grella asked. "Headmistress?"
"No name, no beautiful or romantic words, just the words I love you. These are the last words he said to me and that I have of him . . . Before he left me that night."

(Y/N)s POV:

"Just like that, gone," Grace said. I nodded. "Never to be seen again," Grella said.
"Until what makes today three months ago," Bassy said.
"What?" We said.
"Oh uh, so Headmistress do you have any more of those love letters?"
I held it to my chest. "No . . . I burnt all but this one." I heard two gasps that echoed. "Besides it's obvious three words, why keep this one?" Bassy asked.
"Because I knew I just had to keep one," I turned towards the alter, "I had to keep this one because a year after he left me . . . I swore I would never love again."
Silence . . . "That explains why at every Valentine's Day ball you cut the subject of love and boyfriend short when the tutors and mistresses bring them up," Grace said. "There's one more . . . I also saved it to show how much I hated those words. He didn't even say I love you, he just wrote it down and left," I turned around and looked at them, "and ladies let me tell you, you don't know what love is till it's gone." Grace had a hand on her heart, and Grella was crying while leaning on Bassy—who looked like she wanted to strangle her.
"But you also don't know what true love is till it comes back to you," Bassy said, she put her cold hands on top of mine, "I think you've told us enough for tonight, and you out of all the ladies in this college needs her beauty sleep. We need you strong."

I twisted and turned trying to sleep, until I ended up on my right side looking at either the letter on my makeup vanity, or out the window hoping he'd magically appear. The last thing I saw was the letter and a shadow before I dozed off.

📚backstory📚

Adrian's been acting weird lately, working late Tuesdays and Thursdays, I honestly don't know why since the guy's already the best Reaper at the association. I hear girls whisper, "do you think he's cheating on her, (BFN)?" "I've been in both their presence in the same room, and seen the way they look at each other, trust me girls, there's no cheating." And that's one of the reasons (BFN) is my best friend, she's got my back and I've got hers—or in this case paperwork to do for her.
Some nights when he stays at my place he ends up asleep on my couch, and a kiss on the lips doesn't even wake him. We'd take baths or showers together, but nowadays not so much. He's even been a bit distant, but he makes up for it by cuddling with me on the couch, with a plate of sweets on the table.
When it was time to sleep he'd hold me close, give me a kiss, and stroke my back. "Good night, Adrian." Eventually he stopped stroking me and just held me close to his heart, this time it felt like he didn't want to let go. "Sweet dreams my treasure." I fell asleep with the sound of our hearts beating together.

💀🖤time skip🖤💀

The bed felt empty, I looked to my left/right, there was a letter there . . .
I love you.
That's all it says, not even his name or a quote from a famous author.
That day I didn't see him or his death scythe for even a second, I could hardly sleep that night, so I put on my robe and went out on the balcony for air.

"Adrian where are you?"

📚back to the 80s📚

Undertakers POV:

I was on the roof with the butler and Earl again, I'm surprised the Earl came, because like me he looks exhausted. "You woke me up in the middle of the night for what?" "For something that you haven't—"
"Wait for me gentlemen."
"Ughhhh," the three of us said. "So what did I miss?" Grell asked. "Nothing, you're right on time actually, now where was I? . . . oh yes I thought you might want to see this," the butler handed me a paper with care like it was an old tea cup.

These words, "where did you find this?"
"She showed it to us a few hours ago, and I thought you might want to see it," he said. "How could you leave her?" Grell asked, "good thing this's the only one she has left." "Why did you leave her, Undertaker?" Earl Phantomhive asked.
I mentioned it once, I guess I'll have to mention it again.
"Normally I'd have you pay me with a joke, but this paper already did it for you."
I looked back at the last words I said and wrote to her. "Tell me little Reaper and Demon, what do you know about the Thorns of Death?"