| 0 2 | family

"Remember the words you told me, love me 'til the day I die,"

••••

It was nearly nine in the evening when there was a knock on Avni's door, getting off the bed where she reading a book, she shouted a come in. She looked at the door as it opened and Aman walked in.

"Mum called you down for dinner." He casually said and leaned against the door.

"You can go and I will be there." She replied pulling her hair in a bun and tying the front of her T-shirt since she was wearing Ali's white old t-shirt and blue capris.

"Mum said to bring you with me." He explained, Avni sighed and followed him, closing the door behind her.

They followed the same way from earlier, Aman scrolled through his phone, Avni was glad he didn't want to talk to her, cause even she didn't like to talk with him.

They arrived at the dining room with a huge dining table for almost ten people. Mrs Mehta and Mr Mehta sat at the end of the table. Mr Mehta sat at the end of the table beside him Mrs Mehta who gave her a huge smile.

Aman went and sat in front of Mrs Mehta Avni followed him not wanting to sit beside Mrs Mehta. There was food lined up on the table which Avni could not help but think was unnecessary since there were only four of them.

Four servers rushed out, they immediately started putting food on the plate and after doing it bowing they rushed back in.

Avni was eating her piece of rice when Mrs Mehta spoke, she suppressed a groan, she was already tired of her.

"Avni. . . .your college admissions are done for Media Studies in the same college as Aman." She said, Avni nodded not letting any expression show on her face.

"I do not understand why you have decided to take a degree in Mass Media?" Mr Mehta said, his cold and chilly voice filled the room she clenched her fist. "You should have taken a degree in Business Management like Aman."

Mrs Mehta had a scared expression as she looked between them. "I don't remember asking for your input in my interest and my career." Avni deadpanned, she hated this.

"Avni what is wrong with you?" Mr Mehta bellowed, Avni flinched memories of drunk men shouting in the alley came to her mind. "I should have never let you stay with those lowlifes."

She stood up letting her spoon clutter on the marble plate. "Don't you dare, don't you bloody dare call Nano and Ali lowlifes when it is you who is the scum of this planet. You left me, Mr Aashish Mehta, it was you who left a bloody eight-year-old in a boarding school when her mother died and remarried her-" she pointed at Mrs Mehta who flinched.

"Avni!"

"Aashish please no, she is just a child." Mrs Mehta started muttering anxiously which was barely audible to Avni, she glanced at Aman, he was blankly staring at his food, his face devoid of any emotion.

She turned away from the table walking away, her appetite disappearing with every step she took.

"Avni wait! At least finish your food, please." It was Mrs Mehta, she ignored the call and Aashish Mehta's angry shouts. Running upstairs to her supposed room, shutting herself in.

This whole thing was a bad idea.

. . . . .

Avni didn't hate mornings since they usually consisted of Ali and Nano making Poha for her, she loved Poha made by them it was her home but in Mehta Mansion all she was greeted by in the dining room was a simple salad, bread and other rich breakfast which she didn't like even a bit.

When she was eating the last spoon of her salad, Aman came downstairs, he had a bag slung on his shoulder and a white long-sleeved shirt, navy blue pants, a tie that was very messily done and white sneakers, their college uniform.

Avni wore almost the same thing with changes of having a pleated blue skirt which ended before her knee but the striking contrast between them was their tie while Aman's was messily done, hers was perfectly secured and she had navy blue socks with white strips at the end it ended near her calves paired with sneakers which were same as Aman's.

She had the uniform near her door when she woke up with a letter which she was sure was from Mrs Mehta since it was very feminine cursive writing it asserted to wear it. At first, Avni had wrinkled her face at it, she was finally in university she didn't want to wear a uniform again she had enough of those during her school time.

But then she remembered she was going to in best college in the country and she had closed her mouth up and wore it.

"Hurry up, I don't have all the time in the world, mum asked to take you with me," Aman muttered, Avni could feel he was agitated by the situation but she didn't comment and backlash.

Shoving the last spoon of salad in her mouth Avni slung her bag on her shoulder and looked at him.

"I'm ready." She stated, Aman nodded and gestured her to follow him, she did with no other word.

A Range Rover stood in front of the mansion, Aman turned around to look around at her when they reached it.

"Just because I'm taking you to University doesn't mean you can talk to me there." He gritted out, Avni rolled her eyes.

"Don't worry dear brother I wouldn't want to be caught talking with an asshole."

Aman gave a harsh laugh.

"Tone down your attitude if you want to survive here." He said and got in the car, she got in the front seat with a scowl.

Who wanted to survive? she was going to live here while making her darling father's life hell simultaneously.

They were nearly close to college when Aman stopped the car abruptly, Avni turned towards him with a frown wondering if all his screws were in right place.

"Get out."

"What?"

"I told you I didn't want to be seen with you, taking you inside will be being seen with you." He answered, in a matter-of-fact tone, Avni rolled her eyes and pulled the door open of the car and stepped out.

She went around the car to the footpath where Aman rolled the glass of his window down. He peeked out towards her with a stony face.

"And do yourself a favour don't mention your mother in this place at all." He warned but before she could question him, he sped away living her on the footpath alone with too many questions.

• • • •

| Edited |