Twen tee

"Mom...."

I'm sitting with my back against the wall in the empty kitchen of my res hall, tears streaming down my face.

"Ro Ro? It's so good to hear from you!"

"Hi, Mom.." I force a smile as silent tears fall down my face.

"I know Dad really wants me to come visit so I'm going to take the t-train home this weekend. I really miss you."

I really want to go home....

It's all just too much. I need a break..

"Is everything alright, Rony?"

"Yeah, I'm good.." I whisper.

"Ok..Dad's sleeping right now but I'm sure he could use a good surprise from you. Melle is out with some friends."

I nod.

"Ok. Love you."

"Love you, Rony.."

I start crying a bit harder which is so awkward. I don't remember the last time I cried. Maybe it was when I stubbed my toe really bad a few months ago a shed a little tear. But like this? Gosh, that goes back to like ninth grade during that bullying incident I mentioned a while ago.

I slowly push myself toward my dorm room to start packing.

"Rony Dude! You ok?"

I look up. It's Billy, the one true friend I've had since coming here.

I shake my head.

"No..I'm actually not." I say in a half British have American mess.

"Come, let's head in the room. I heard what happened, this must be so tough for you I couldn't imagine...."

Billy is so good....

"I'm rrreally sorry for h-how I've treated you, Billy..."

His eyes widen and he runs over to me and grabs my shoulder.

"You ok, Ro? Are you having a stroke?!"

I shake my head.
"I'm going home for the w-w-weekend."

"To England?" He narrows his eyes. "I don't think that's a good idea, Rony.."

I'm not a bad person, as I hope you all realized. I have good intentions and just wanted to try something out for myself, I never meant to hurt anybody...

But at the party, Jasper came to me crying.

News hit that a wild fire hit England and the parliament is urging mass evacuation in most areas. Jasper read it on her phone at the party and was a wreck asking me what we should do and how we need to get in touch with our families.

I couldn't do it.

I can't do it.

When she said that at least she had a good friend like me to go through it with,..it crushed me.

I ran back to my dorm room and now my friend Alec who she doesn't even know is consoling her with cheap frozen yogurt at the caf. Bless you, A..

So no, Jasper still thinks I am British and EVERYTHING going on with me has nothing to do with Jasper. Well..not completely. Not for the real Rony at least.

But I can't just keep hurting the people who deserve it least..

"Billy...I'm n-n-not really British..I'm ffffrom L-l-l-long Island."

Billy doesn't say anything.
He doesn't look angry, he looks intrigued.

"Ok.."

Ok? That's it?

"I shouldn't have pulled you into this. Yyyyou have been sssso kind and are the one p-p-p-person who deserves to kn-know. It's just...uh...it's sssstupid." I shake my head.

"No, what?"

"I ssssssstutter...I just thought wwwith my voice acting. I h-h-have this whole plan to pretend to be B-b-British in college since I d-don't ssstutter in an accent." I explain.

"But it's causing ssso many comp-comp-complicated sssituations. I'm so sorry for doing this to y-you..."

Billy nods.

"It's ok, Rony. I'm actually relieved I thought you didn't like me.."

"Billy! You are rrrad, my friend!" I smile.

"There's nothing to worry about, Rony. If you want to keep being a Brit, I'll go with it when we are with people. It's ok."

Billy Rubin, you are one in a million my friend.

"So you're leaving for Long Island now?"

"..yeah...my parents h-h-have been bugging me to visit and now seems llllike a good time for a getaway.." I sigh as I pull out a large duffle bag from my closet.

Billy doesn't say anything and just watches me pack.

"Thanks, Bill..."

"For what?" He laughs.

I shrug.

"Jjjust....for being a good roommate...and a good friend.."