Twa NeH WON

"My little brother's coming hooooome!!!"

Melle smiles at me wide eyed through my phone as I FaceTime her from my Amtrak seat.

"And I'm hopeful my room is just how I left it." I snort.

"No, it's trashed with booze...yeah, of course, Ro! Why would I need to raid your room for anything? I am 22 and could pay for my own shit."

"Really? Finally p-p-putting that psych degree of yours to use?" I tease.

"For your information I am a graduate assistant so yes I make money."

Oh right, I vaguely remember her talking about going back for an MBA at Stony Brook (big university on Long Island) but truth be told I wasn't really paying attention lol.

"Alright, aaaalright. Fair."

"Well how are things with you? Kind of sudden to be shipping your self back at 11 pm on a Friday, don't ya think?"

I shrug.

"I don't know...D-d-d-d-Dad has been bugging me to come home..so hhhheeere I am.." I say as I feel my chest tighten.
My stutter always feels more symptomatic at night when I'm tired.

"How has your stutter been?"

I roll my eyes.

I HATE when my family randomly brings up about my speech when it is NOT the topic of conversation. Or anyone for that matter.
And especially now.
Because I want to tell Melle everything that's happened but I'm not about to pour my heart out on this train.

"D-d-d-d-don't be like Mmmmmmom..." I make a face.

"Well I want to make sure everyone is treating you right. Is anyone being a dick to you?"

Well, yes.. but for other reasons you do not yet know..

"No, Melle!" I roll my eyes.

"I will knock anyone who gives you any crap, you know that.." Melle smiles as she holds a fist to the screen.

"Oh. I do.."

Melle literally threatened to knock a guy out when I played hockey for calling me a dumb blonde..
I know, ironic considering I'm now a physicist - WHOSE YO DADDY NOW PUNK?!

Yeah, funny back story on that, I was thirteen and went to buy a snack from the concession stand at the rink and accidentally tried to pay in Chuck E Cheese tokens.

Ok DON'T JUDGE!! To my defense Melle and I had just went there with our younger cousins so I inadvertently took out the first round metal coins I felt in my pocket! I was thirteen!

And this rude ass jack ass from Glen Cove turns toward me and is like "Oh wow what a dumb blonde you are!!"

Like bish get out of my space and act yo wage..

Melle was actually one of the cashiers at the stand as her high school gig and heard the kid say that to me. Not one of my proudest moments..

But after the game when Melle got off of work she put on my skates and grabbed my hockey stick and raced across the ice threatening to rip him a new one.

"How far is your train? Mom wants to know.."

"We will be at P-Penn in like a half hour."

That's the NYC train station.

"Ok..Mom and Dad are almost there."

"They're mmmmeeting m-m-me at P-P-P-Penn?" I ask.

"Um yes. You really thought they would let you get home on your own?"

"Wwwwwell there goes Mmmmmom's idea of ssssssurprising D-D-Dad with my arrival.."

Man I am wiped my speech is poop right now.

"Oh please, Mom can't keep a secret."

"Only I can." I smirk.

"No you can't, Ro.." Melle laughs.
"Like when you slipped to me when I was accepted to Syracuse when Mom and Dad had a whole surprise party planned?"

Um lol I've been living out this secret...

"But I d-d-did..I'll tell you when I get home.."

"Ok. I also have to tell you some things, Rony.."

"Is it ok?" I ask as I put my feet up on the seat in front of me.

And then kick them back down two seconds later when the conductor shoots me a look. Hey, I ain't breaking no rules!!

"I'll tell you at home also Rony.." Melle smiles.

"Alright..."

"Well, the t-t-train is starting to pull up s-s-so I guess I'll ssssee you in an ah-ah-ah-hour or so?"

"Alright little Ro. So excited to see you I love you.."

"L-Love you.."

My phone buzzes again.

Miles🥉: y is alec having froyo with a random chic at greenstown?

😬🤕