Chapter 26: Bonding with Uncle Hizashi

One of your fluffy ears swiveled as you faintly heard the bell chime from outside, marking the end of the free period. Everyone would be making their way to Midnight's class and since it was your day off, you had planned to get back to the dorms even though you had nothing to do.

Surprisingly, you were rather good with coursework, finishing it rather fast and nailing the topics with relative ease that flabbergasted your classmates.

The teachers had staggered your schedule around the others so that you didn't take on too much at once and this allowed you more time off than the others to compensate for your rigorous schedule.

You didn't have any classes today so that's how you had the time to make him all of this and not be worried about making it to next period.

Thinking it would be rude to ask to stay longer, you reluctantly got up, making your way towards the door. You supposed it was time to go back to the dorm and clean up the mess you had left behind in your hurry.

"Y/N."

Aizawa's low tone halted you in place and you turned around, wondering if he was going to ask something of you.

To your surprise, he gestured to the empty seat next to him.

"Want to help me grade these?" He asked and your eyes lit up.

"Can I?!" You asked excitedly.

"Sure, kid." Aizawa replied, a hint of a smirk pulling at the edge of his mouth at your enthusiasm to do something so boring as grading papers.

Pumping your fist in the air, you sped over to his side, nearly tripping yet again in the process but managed to right yourself before crashing to the ground.

Yamada leaned down and lowered his voice, mischievously whispering as you plopped down in the chair next to him. "I always wondered what it would be like if you had kids."

Aizawa sharply elbowed him in the ribs.

"Shut up." He hissed to his nosy best friend before getting to work alongside you, teaching you what to look for while you skimmed each paper.

After grading papers for a while, he turned to you. While he knew that you hadn't eaten a lot since you were busy making him such a thoughtful lunch, that didn't mean he was going to let you off the hook.

You were currently wolfing down a bowl of gyūdon that he had ordered in for you.

When you objected to the generous offering, he had flatly told you off, easing up and letting you know that he was worried you weren't taking care of yourself and warned not to do it again when your eyes watered dangerously.

You were sly and sneakier than he gave you credit for as you tapped his shoulder. "Can I make you food from now on?"

"No." Came the dry retort from the stoic man, not taking his eyes off of the essays in front of him once.

You turned your best puppy dog eyes on him. "Pleaseeeeee~"

He shot you down again, still not looking at you. "No."

Huffing, you casted a look over your shoulder, puffing out your cheeks. "Yamada-sensei, he's being mean."

Immediately, a wind picked up around you, spurred on by the outraged shout that filled the air so much so that you had to clap your hands over your ears to protect them before your eardrums exploded.

"SHOUTA, WHY ARE YOU BEING MEAN TO MY NIECE?!?!?!?!" Yamada screamed.

Thank goodness it was only the three of you left in the lounge. Midnight and Cementoss had left a while ago and Vlad King wasn't going to be back until much later.

"She's not your niece." Aizawa snapped, throwing a textbook at his face.

Yamada deflected it rather easily and pouted sadly. "But Shouta, if she's your daughter, then that makes me the uncle!!"

Aizawa stiffened, unsure how you would take being labeled as his daughter but his shoulders slumped in relief as you doubled over with laughter.

"He's not wrong." You told him teasingly and he rolled his eyes.

"You two are too much to deal with." Aizawa complained, though there was light in his eyes, giving away his amusement and dare he say it, happiness.

"Hah!! Y/N, we did it!!" Yamada high-fived you excitedly.

You giggled. Aizawa instructed you to finish your food before you helped him grade anymore and you obeyed with a cheeky smile, pushing the rolling chair away so that you slid across the floor, your bright laughter ringing out as you spun around.

Yamada bent down, resting his arm on Aizawa's shoulder as soon as you were out of earshot and occupied with your new toy.

"She's a sweet girl."

Aizawa smiled slightly. "Yeah, she is."

That was the only agreement they reached in that afternoon of craziness. 

"Hey, Y/N!! Can you make me lunch, too!!" Yamada shouted over the empty office cubicles from where you were playing fetch.

Definitely not a good idea but you were so full of energy that it was either this or laps around Gym Gamma and this seemed a lot more appealing to you.

"Oi." Aizawa shot him a glare. "Don't make more work for her."

"But her katsu curry is sooooo good." He complained, a dreamy look in his eye.

You readily agreed to make him lunches too, and Aizawa's concern grew.

"You don't have to, you know." He jabbed a finger at his colleague who was reaching for the food in the background, only to be swatted away by him. "He'll survive without food. Unfortunately."

You stifled a laugh at the jab, but it burst out anyways as Yamada heard it and narrowed his eyes at his best friend.

Clutching your midsection, you doubled over when Present Mic jumped on an unsuspecting Eraserhead from behind.

"Gah, get off of me!! You're heavy." Aizawa groaned, shoving him off.

Yamada's gasp was way too over exaggerated for him to actually be insulted and you giggled when he allowed himself to be pushed off.

"Shouta, you love me~" He sang gleefully, dancing back over to him and sticking his face close to his.

"No, I don't." Aizawa expressed emotionlessly.

"WHAAAAAAAT?!" Yamada cried, bawling as he sank to the floor dramatically.

Your laughter had turned silent as you ran out of air to produce sound, tears leaking out of your eyes from laughing so hard that Aizawa actually had to rush over and make sure you were still breathing.

After that, he didn't let the loudmouth get that far again.

Once the chaos died down a decent amount, he became concerned as he realized that by making his annoying best friend food from now on, it'll be too much of a hassle.

Aizawa's thoughts ran rampant as he tried to think of valid reasons to talk you out of it.

You could fall behind on your studies. You could overwork yourself. You would make the rest of the students lazy if they caught wind of your delicious cooking.

But you brushed him off, flashing your canines as you confidently reassured him that you would be okay making both him and Yamada lunches every day.

"I can make them when I free time and plan ahead so that you have food for each week." You told him, subtly insisting that you could handle it.

Aizawa rubbed the back of his neck, thinking you shouldn't be putting so much pressure on yourself to do this for him, but in the end your determination won out and he surrendered.

But only after telling you repeatedly not to overdo it.

You hid a smile behind your hand as he resumed his work, your ears twitching as the next bell rang and you stood up to get back to Heights Alliance, collecting the empty bento box on your way out.

He might deny it if you asked him while Yamada was there, but you were quite sure that was his way of saying that he loved you.